Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, October 22, 2007

Hontoon Island Loop

Sunday, October 21, 2007 I paddled a route I call, "Hontoon Island Loop". I began at Blue Springs State Park, paddled north, upstream on the St. Johns River to Hontoon Island State Park, south on the Hontoon Dead River, to Snake Creek, back to the St Johns and Blue Spring. Its about eight miles, took me 4.5 hours with one stop.



Faithful pre Dave's Yak Tales readers know this paddle can feature encounters with alligators, manatees, bald eagles and deer. They also know I launch the yak from the French Avenue "ramp" just outside the Park, then paddle upstream 5 minutes to Blue Spring where, depending on the season, I either snorkel the spring or watch manatees. That scenario changed Sunday.



Now that I have an annual State Park pass, I decided to launch directly from the Park. I had not entered Blue Springs State Park by car since Feb. 2006, when Steve Rozga saw the manatees with me.



I'll save wear and tear on the car driving the paved park road instead of the packed sand road at French Ave. The nice thing about French Ave is the road ends at waters edge, not much of a carry. At the Park, I had to carry the yak about 30 yards to the water, where I left it and walked the boardwalk along Blue Springs Run for a swim.


Blue is yet another first magnitude spring. Recently, though the water has been cloudy, visibility low. Here is the lasted info, from the Park's website:


Cloudy water conditions in Blue Spring have improved daily and are no longer a hindrance to divers.



Not a hindrance, but not as clear as I am used to. The likely suspect-overdevolpment, over-fertilization, over whelming the water table with nutrients causing algae and other contaminents to flourish.



I snorkled up the Run to the Spring. Scuba divers preparing to dive, two other swimmers were present. A large log, about twenty feet down was barely visible. I did not go very deep, and the floated downstream. Took pictures of, gar, none worthy of publication due to the cloudy water. I probably won't be back to swim here until March, 08. On November 15 the Run is closed to all activity- other than watching manatees from the boardwalk.




That means the above photo should be the last one of the yak in Blue Springs Run this year. That's a swimmer off the port bow. The Run is about 1/3 mile from the Spring to the St. Johns. I entered the River, passed a pair of kayakers, and continued downstream. Saw an alligator on the surface, turned out to be the only one I saw all day. Passed a large group of kayakers getting in at French Ave, then I circled an island that often provides large gators, the occasional manatee and lots of wading birds. Only moorhens this time. Back to the main channel and upstream.




A quiet day, maybe 5 moving boats as I headed upstream, a few more fishing. No development on this stretch of River






I observed Great Egrets, Great Blue Herons, cormorants, ibis, red shouldered hawks, belted kingfishers, vultures, osprey, and ahingas sharing perches with blue herons.





I'm not sure which intruder the heron is squawking at, me or the anhinga.

Just over an hour of paddling took me to the north tip of Hontoon Island, and the concession, docks, museum. picnic area of Hontoon Island State Park. A pontoon boat ferries landlubbers from a parking lot on the mainland. I continued around the Island into the Hontoon Dead River. "Dead" for lack of current. That, and a minimum wake restriction make it a great paddle. Another hour and I landed at about the only place you can land, the shore being a cypress swamp with little solid ground. But here. two hiking trails meet and there's a small spot to land. One trail starts back at the north tip of the Island and ends at a huge Indian Shell Mound. It's a short walk to the mound from my spot through a beautiful hammock of moss draped live oaks, sabal palm magnolia and laurel oaks. The mound is about 3o feet high and old- a massive oak stands atop it. It must have a few bones and antlers as well.

















I walked back to the yak, ate lunch, then got back in the water. To get back to the St Johns, I could take either Snake Creek or one of the century old logging canals. Snake Creek is often impassable, due to low water and weeds. I was a bit surprised I made it through on my last visit, in August, with the water lettuce and other plants in full bloom. But I knew I could make it this time, thanks to the group of paddlers I had seen at French Ave. I met them coming up the HDR, and asked, Snake or Canal ? Snake.


This group of about 10, followed by another pair, is by far the most I have ever seen on this trip. I think kayaks outnumbered powerboats- at least until later when I returned to the St Johns. I wonder if the yakers were inspired by my story on Paddling.net

http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?1277


Snake Creek, is winding, no room for powerboats. Same birds as earlier. I've seen otters here, none today. Back in the St. Johns, I entered a lagoon just south of Blue Spring Run. In June of 06 I saw a large group of manatees here. I always visit, hoping for another herd, but am still waiting. But soon, the temps will turn cool, and when the St Johns drops into the 60s, 200 or more manatees will seek the 72 degree water of Blue Spring. I'll send a picture.


By the way, if you watched Monday Night Football tonight, 10-22-07, the water in the shots of Jacksonville is the St Johns River

No comments: