Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Myakka River

Saturday, November 3, 2007, I went to Myakka River State Park. The Myakka River has a huge alligator population along with a variety of birds, mammals and reptiles. 14 miles of River, including two lakes, are within the confines of Myakka River State Park. Located 9 miles east of I-75, outside Sarasota. 150 miles from home, it is the limit for my day trip excursions. With the impending time change, I thought today would be a last opportunity for a full day at Myakka before spring.



I arrived at the gate just before the 8:00 am opening. Not at the gate, 8 or 9 cars were already in line. Just before the park opened, another large group arrived, 8 or so vehicles, all topped with kayaks.




Once the gate opened, I stopped at the Ranger Station to get a permit to enter the section of River south of State Highway 72. Access is limited to this part of the River, to keep it in as natural condition as possible.


On prior visits to Myakka River State Park, I have put the kayak in at the concession area, about 5 road, 3.5 river miles upstream from the entrance. Today, seeing the crowd, I decided to launch at a bridge carrying the Park Road across the River. There is a pull off near the bridge, allowing visitors to park, fish, watch gators, and launch small boats. A narrow path led to the water. I noisily went to water's edge, to flush any sleeping gators, and put in. I went downstream. After a few minutes, a deer ran through the palms on my left. It stopped, we exchanged glances, it moved on. This red shoulder hawk surveyed the river near a picnic area.The water level was high, current swift. I was soon past State Road and in the Wilderness Preserve. The channel is much narrow here than up river. A hardwood forest gives way to marsh and prairie as the River flows towards the Gulf of Mexico. The narrow channel leads to close encounters with wildlife, such as the alligator at the top of this report. The picture does not do it justice. Its head looked as big as the bow of my yak-like I could fit both legs comfortably inside its jaws. I snapped two quick pictures as I went by. Due to its size, the narrow River, and swift current, I decided against turning to head upstream for a better shot. Unlike Sunday, November 4, where I got several pictures of a large alligator on the Econlochatachee River. The Myakka one was much larger.


The narrow River broadens considerably-m so much that it forms a lake, Lower Myakka Lake. I paddled across the shallow lake, to Deep Hole, a sink hole that is full of alligators. I saw about 2o. The river narrowed again, I continued downstream, and had now proceeded farther down river than ever before, thanks to starting 3 miles below my usual put-in. I heard the familiar tee tee tee of an osprey, and looked up, An osprey all right. And on its tail, a bald eagle. I have heard about bald eagles trying to steal fish from osprey. Sure enough, the osprey dropped a fish from its talons. The eagle was unable to recover it, much to the relief of the fish.


I paddled for 45 minutes. I turned around, into a stiff breeze. Not to bad at first, but difficult once on the open water of Lower Myaka Lake. For the first time, I adjusted my paddle so when the right blade was in the water, the narrow edge of the left paddle faced the wind, and vice-versa. I never tried it before for an extended period. It was easy, just a small turn of the wrist. Simple, and reduced wind resistance. The second of the two birds is a black crowned night heron. This is a bird I do not see often. On the Myakaa, they were present in large numbers. Groups of 2,3, 4, noisily flying about,landing for a moment or two, then off again





I arrived back at the Park bridge. I knew I did not have to worry about alligators, as people were fishing at the landing area. I landed, put the yak on the car. I had paddled almost 9 miles. Thanks to my early start, I had time to explore the land side of Myakka River State Park. I biked the Park Road, a beautiful ride under live oaks and palms, then along the shore of Upper Myakka Lake, to the Clay Gulley Picnic Area, pictured here.


I then pedaled back, stopping at the Birdwalk, a boardwalk, observation platform on the north end of Upper Myakka Lake. Wood storks probed the marsh grass, egrets and herons waded in the shallows, ducks raised their rumps as they fed, an eagle road the thermals. Great stuff for those who had not already seen similar sights from the kayak. Back on bike, saw a deer. Next stop, the concession area. I walked the bike through a grove of trees to the spot where Upper Myakka Lake is separated by a low dam from the rest of the River. I should qualify "low". It depends on water level. I have seen the dam 4 feet above the Lake, on other occasions I have not seen it, and padddled over it. This trip, it wa above water, but only by afew inches. Opposite of where I stood, an alligator lay, next to a snowy egret, glossy ibis and several cormorants. No pictures, my battery had expired back at the Bird Walk- where I missed a great shot- great egrets in a mating dance- bopping up and down, wings spread- great stuff.



My disappointment in not having the battery was compensated by getting a bowl of gator stew at the concession. I usually arrive back at the concession after it has closed, but again, thanks to the early start, I was able to indulge.



Satiated, I biked back to the car, got a back up battery, and walked two short hiking trails. This is not a boardwalk thorough the trees. It is a walkway over them. A three story tower is at one end, at the other end, an eight story tower, 76.1 feet up, providing a spectacular view. You can apppreciate the size of Myakka River State Park, forest and river as far as the eye can see.



Back at ground level, I spotted a family of wild hogs. This final shot is a view of the River from the first trail. Myaka River State Park has great views by land, sea, and sky

No comments: