Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Wekiva River and Rock Springs Run



Put the yak in at Wekiwa Springs State Park this afternoon, Weds., November 7, 2007. As Dave's Yak Tales is in its early stage, I am trying to add new trips with each report. Astute readers will recall I launched from Wekiwa Springs State Park for my first report on the site, Rock Springs Run. Indeed, I did, but this time I paddled past the confluence of the Wekiva and Rock Springs Run and continued on the Wekiva. I paddled downstream for an hour, just past a campsite, Buffalo Tram. A strong north wind was in my face. When I turned around, it almost negated the current, which you can see in the above photo.



When I put in, a young lady asked the worker at the concession about alligators. He replied "You probably won't see any" Maybe you won't, but I will, I thought. As I began to see turtles sunning on logs, I figured gators couldn't be far behind.

I figured wrong. No alligators. Bird life included

ibis, blue herons, Great Blue Herons, ibis and belted kingfishers. Human life scarce. A canoeing couple at the launch, father and son kaykers, a solo kayaker, a fisherman stopped at Goog Gal Mound, a name I just made up for the Indian Mound 45 minutes downstream with a rope swing, and a couple fishing from a small motor boat.



I returned to the confluence of the Wekiva and Rock Springs Run, and headed up the narrow Run for forty minutes. The best place I know for seeing bears. None today. Not to shabby for spotting deer, and I did see one. Additional bird life. Red shouldered hawk, limpkin, tri-colored heron to add to those seen on the Wekiva. Only two other people, the father and son I saw on the Wekiva.



As the time neared 5:30, I felt a strange sensation, something I have not experienced in 8,9 months. Cold. The north wind was the precursor of a cold front. Being Florida "Cold" is relative. According to the radio when I drove home the temp was 56. Still, in t-shirt,and swimsuit, it felt cold to me.

No comments: