Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Rock Springs Run to Kelly Park

The photo on the left is the end of the tube run at Kelly Park in Apopka, FL. I have viewed it from the other side, after snorkeling the Run. I have tried to reach it by kayak since April 2005. Today, I made it.









Now, to quote Paul Harvey, the rest of the story.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 was cool (60's) overcast, with 40% chance of rain. Perfect day for kayaking.

I thought of doing a road trip, but rain was forecast from Orlando north and west, so I decided to stay close to home and paddle Rock Springs Run. I am fortunate to have this gem 20 minutes from my door.

I arrived at Wekiwa Springs State Park just prior to it opening and was in the River at 8:20. I let the spring fed current do much of the work as I made my way to the confluence with Rock Springs Run. Now, I had to do the work, paddling up the narrow fast flowing stream. I encountered the usual ibis, limpkins, blue herons, Great Blue herons, Great egrets, anhingas red tailed and red shouldered hawks.













I spied the hindquarters of a deer, tail flashing as it ran into the cypress and sabal palm forest. I think I interrupted breakfast.
























The one deer outnumbered people on the Run. No one at the three primitive campsites a bit less than halfway up the Run. As I paddled on, I assumed I'd encounter downstream paddlers, launching from King's Landing. False assumption. Perhaps the weather kept people away. As I stated above, a perfect day for kayaking, no one on the water !



Just nature and I.



















It's about 8 miles from Wekiwa Spring to Kings Landing, the launch point for 99% of those who paddle Rock Springs Run. 1% is me, and anyone else who goes against the flow. A short canal connects the Run to Kings. I looked up it, and saw the first people since I paid the ranger at 8:00. Shortly thereafter, I saw my first paddler.

The most beautiful mile of Rock Springs Run is upstream of King's Landing. The first time I paddled all the way up Rock Springs Run, hoping to get to Kelly Park, in April 2005, this is what I encountered:

I had to get out of the yak for the first time to portage over some downed trees. This was repeated several more times. Branches and vines wrapped around the kayak and I. It has to clear soon, I thought. Water shallow, just up to my thighs, occasionally feet sinking in muck. Itdid not clear. Thought the African Queen would appear.When I got to another thicket, these with thorns, itwas time to turn around.

That first trip, I wound up on a side channel, but even the main Run had dead fall every 20-30 yards. On subsequent visits I'd portage a log or three, just to get to water like this.

Then, this September, I paddled past Kings Landing, and kept going. No obstacles. I noticed many fresh saw marks. Someone had cleared the Run. That someone was the folks from Kings Landing. I sent them a thank you email.
Clearing the Run was good business. Now the Kings Landing folks can rent canoes to paddlers up and down from their location. I encounter two canoes on the cleared area, proving the point.
I still had not got all the way to Kelly Park, where Rock Springs is located. On the upper, upper portion of the Run, some blockages remained. Looking at maps, and satellite imagery, I knew I had almost reached Kelly Park a couple times. Today, I decided to go all the way. This tangle forced me out of the yak.

Just a short time later, I was at Kelly Park.


12:15, just under 4 hours for the nine mile upstream voyage. My quest to reach Kelly Park, first attempted in April, 2005 was fulfilled. I turned around, and headed downstream. A pause to get out and pull the yak over the thicket, then I let the flow from Rock Springs help push me downstream. I stopped for lunch at my usual spot, an island in the Run. I finished lunch, and emptied my leaky yak and was ready to go. But, I waited to let a Boy Scout Troop get ahead of me. Once they were out of earshot,I put in and continued the journey home.

A Great egret joined the ibis I saw on the way to Kelly Park.





And, as always limpkins on the Run.



Spotted two otters, several miles apart, on the way back. During the afternoon, the clouds cleared, temps edged toward 70. The campsites, unoccupied on the way up, now had tents.
I arrived at the confluence of Rock Springs Run and the Wekiva River. To my surprise, no one was on the water. Other the one alligator, taking a swim in the warm waters of the spring fed river. I was able to see it underwater, which is a unique perspective. I returner to Wekiwa Springs State Park at 5:25, 9 hours after I left, just over five hours from the time I left Kelly Park.

2 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

You are a fine story-teller, Mr. Yak.

Dave said...

Thank you,OHS. By the way, I thought the Burger King story on your site took place in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.