Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Wekiva River

I had a three hour paddle in on the Wekiva River this afternoon, Saturday, January 12, 2008. A short trip as I worked in the morning, making up the time I spent on the Banana River Wednesday (see post immediately below), and of course, had to get back in time for the Packer game. Put in at Wekiwa Springs State Park.



I saw ibis,


Great Blue Herons,






Blue herons,



Limpkins,





Great Egrets,




Anhingas,





















More GBH, with a mouthful of fish,










I did not see the residents of this hive.



I saw sunning turtles



And one small alligator.
As usual on a weekend, the Wekiva was full of paddlers from the State Park, through the Wekiva Marina, to the Indian/Party mound on the right bank. That's about a 45 minute paddle from the Park. I continued for another 45 minutes, to an almost empty River. THroughout the afternoon, I saw more motor boats then I have ever seen here, about 10. One was a DEP officer, ticket book out, as a young man fished beers out of his cooler, and one by one, emptied them into the River.

This was my fifth time paddling the Wekiva and/or Rock Springs Run since the inception of Dave's Yak Tales, and the first time I have pictures of the second magnitude Spring.





2 comments:

Peggy said...

You know I have a fondness for the birds and love to see them, but your underwater photos are absolutely fantastic! Like looking into another world. (And I am over my ailment, no more Nyquil!)

Dave said...

Thanks. It helps to have good subjects to photograph, I just point and shoot. (and hold my breath.

I've added your site to my links.

http://paddletales.blogspot.com/

Folks reading this need to check it out.