Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Haulover Canal









The manatees are back at Haulover Canal. After seeing none on my last visit in January, I saw them throughout the Canal this visit, March 22, 2008. A herd of 15 or so was in the Bairs Cove boat ramp area, including the back floating one pictured above. I also saw dolphins.



















This one at "Dolphin Cove". Early in the day, the manatees in Bairs Cove were frisky, groups of 3 or more rising out of the water, laying flippers on one another. Neat to watch.


















I got in the water at 10:30, the same time a large tour group was putting in. It looked like they were going out into the Indian River towards Mullet Head Island. Seeing that, I went the other way, across the mouth of the Canal to the alternate entrance to the south. On the way I saw these horseshoe crabs. I don't think I've ever seen a live horseshoe crab before.







I paddled through the alternate channel, avoiding the Canal traffic, exiting at "Dolphin Cove" which lived up to the name I've given it. Bairs Cove is just a few paddle strokes away. I just floated in the cove, manatee watching. If it weren't for all the power boats launching and landing, it would be a perfect spot.
























I left Bairs Cove, paddling east towards the Mosquito Lagoon. Paddling along side more manatees. Still more at the Manatee Overlook, about six. I made my way to the end of the Canal, taking the alternate channel on the north, then back to the Canal and in the Lagoon. I paddled north a short way, then made my way between two islands, into a long water way, sheltered by islands on the east, and the mainland on the west. Ruins line the mainland side.























I do not know for certain, but I'd guess these old wharves and foundations are the remnants of structures from the late 1950's, early 60's when the Feds took the land for NASA. I've seen an alligator near the concrete block structure a couple times, I did not today. The day was overcast, low 70's, not prime gator weather. I headed back the way I came, seeing more manatees and dolphins. Again I lingered at Bairs Cove, where a great egret had its mouth full.




















I left the Cove, and Canal, making my way to Mullett Head Island. The water was very shallow around this bird sanctuary. I need to make a mental note to not paddle tidal waters on a full moon. I was looking for spoonbills, but did not see any. Back to Bairs Cove for for man-manatee interaction.














































I spent six hours on the water, over half of which was spent manatee watching.

I can't believe my sister did not tell me abour her sailboat ;)




I had the bike with me, but last week's flu has turned to a cold and I did not have the energy.






Instead, I took a short walk on the Scrub Jay Trail.Last visit, I saw white pelicans and rosette spoonbills here. Not today. But I did see a rabbit-hopping down the bunny trail.


I finally saw some spoonbills on Black Point Wildlife Drive.
























And, this Easter ham.
Update. When I returned home, I recalled hearing something on the radio about the State Fish and Wildlife Commission looking for public input on horseshoe crab sitings. I found the FWC link
and sent them the picture and where it took place. Now I know what I saw was mating activity. And so do you.

No comments: