Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Alexander Creek


After spending Friday far, far away on the Suwanee River, Saturday called for a short trip. Take a smaller bite, as it were. So, I went to the Ocala National Forest, put in at the Lake County 445 Bridge, and paddled the short distance (about a mile) to Alexander Springs. Alexander Creek was crowded with paddlers. No motors allowed upstream of the Bridge. Here is the scene at the Spring, in the water, and the picnic area.








































The underwater view.














>







Did the usual post-snorkel walk on the Timucan Trail. Saw this guy after I completed the short, 1.1 mile, walk.













Smart critter- easier to get table scraps than battle in the forest.





I got back in the yak.














Paddled downstream, to and past the Bridge. Most folks coming from the Spring turn back at the Bridge. The alligator at the top of the Tale was beyond the Bridge. The picture is on the way back. Here is how it looked on the way out.








After I took the picture, a couple yahoos paddled close to the gator whacked their paddles on the canoe, scaring it off the log. Spoiling the opportunity for another couple to see an alligator. After the gator got back on the log, he opened his jaws to say "Don't mess with me" Or, more likely, its a cooling technique.






Here's a bird gallery.



































































And a turtle.








2 comments:

chiefg said...

Thought that was you passing by, I was the gentleman you passed by at Big Buck. Out for a short hike with the dog.
Chiefg

Dave said...

I need to ask, have we met ? Or did you recognize me from my picture on Green Wave ?