Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Juniper Creek






Saturday May 3, 2008, I returned to Juniper Creek in the Ocala National Forest. In the water at 9:00 am, only car in the Juniper Wayside parking lot. Paddled 7 miles upstream to the Juniper Springs Recreation Area. Did not see my first paddler until I was more than half way. By then I'd seen three deer.


















The log this gentleman is on is 8-10 feet above the creek. After I passed below, he pushed off, splashing into the Creek to the delight of his buddies. I told them I was glad one is never to old to do crazy things.




















He did not land on this guy.












A beautiful May Saturday brought out plenty paddlers. By going upstream, I only had brief encounters with the downstream throng, then had the Creek to myself. And wildlife like limpkins.





I arrived at Juniper Springs about 12:30. A lot of activity, as you can see.







>All the activity stirred up the water, so no good underwater pics. But bad under water pics are better than none at all, a position I thought I was in last Saturday when water got in my case and the camera stopped working. But, by Tuesday, after drying out, it was working fine. I have some good underwater pics, later in the Tale.










Here's a good landbased pic.








iv>Fern Hammock Springs. I have yet to find a more scenic spot in Florida


I was back in the water at 2:00, well after the last rental canoe left. I saw five boats on the way down.













An equal number of deer.

































More wildlife
































I spent the same amount of time heading downstream, 3.5 hours, as I took going up. Downstream was a bit easier.














Silver Glen Springs is 3 miles north of the Juniper Wayside. Here are the good underwater pictures.
























































After my snorkel, I crossed Highway 19 to the Yearling Trail. A great location for Florida scrub jays.





A few more pictures (5) and additional info are posted on the Green Wave Forum

http://www.clubkayak.com/greenwave/trips.asp?op=showlocation&location=83

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These photos are magnificent -- what a wonderful trip!

Dave said...

Thank you. I think you'd enjoy Juniper Creek. It's a lot like Rock Springs Run.