Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Wekiva River

Sunday, May 25, 2008, Katies Landing to the St Johns River and back with a short peak at Blackwater Creek.







I was in the water at 8:15, just ahead of the gentlemen in the first picture. Adventure racers having a workout. I saw them again on their way back.



It was a great day for great blue herons.








Also tri colored, blue, green and yellow crowned, but you'll have to take my word for it. No pictures. Lotsa limpkins.




Limpkins were not the only animals pairing off.









The first four gators I saw were in pairs. May is the peak of mating season, perhaps they were courting.










I did not see an Ark. I did see kayaks, motorboats, pontoon boats, speed boats, the later two near the St Johns where the Wekiva is wider and deeper than it is upstream.







Last time I did this paddle, in January, I saw one alligator. Today, a dozen. Six on the Wekiva, in 6 hours, 6 on Blackwater Creek, one hour. This guy was in Blackwater.





Here is a less toothy reptile.




As stated above, I saw numerous great blue herons and limpkins, so here are two more pictures.








If you like birds, the Wekiva across from Katies Landing is a great spot. Herons, egrets, ibis abound in the long grasses. I can't recall seeing a wood stork on the Wekiva since 2005. This one was across from Katies as I landed.


During my 7 hours on the water, I also saw osprey, anhingas, pileated woodpeckers, wood ducks and belted kingfishers. Finished they day walking 2.1 mile Sandhill Trail at nearby Lower Wekiva Preserve, 90% of the paddle is in the Preserve.

No comments: