Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Turkey Creek

I went to Palm Bay today, Sunday June 29, 2008 and kayaked Turkey Creek. I changed up my usual routine, paddling east from the Goode Park launch into the Indian River before heading upstream to the Turkey Creek Sanctuary. I did this to avoid the boat traffic and weather that were sure to worsen later in the day. And to look for dolphins. In Palm Bay, two small dorsal fins broke the surface. Dolphins ? I paddled to the area, they did not resurface. I continued through the Bay and into the Indian River.













I am looking north towards Melbourne and the 192 causeway in this picture. No dolphins. Back in Palm Bay, I again saw dorsal fins. Definitely fish. Red fish, I thought. Later, a kayaker said they were more likely tarpon. Which makes more sense. Redfish feed in shallow sea grass beds, Palm Bay is relatively deep. That kayaker was one of 4 I saw on the way upstream.









No dolphins, and no manatees or alligators on the upstream trip. As usual, I got out and walked around at the Turkey Creek Sanctuary. Shorter than normal, due to my bad wheel.





As always, Turkey Creek was full of turtles. Birds I saw were blue, green, great blue herons, great egrets, anhingas, pileated woodpeckers, osprey, vultures and ibis.










Pictured are a blue heron, great egret and ibis.





I did see manatees. Three, on the downstream paddle, just upstream of the Port Malabar Rd bridge. A small round object briefly broke the surface. It seemed small for a manatee, was it an otter ? I drifted, eyeing the surface. Two fishermen on the bank said, "See the manatee ? Mother and baby." A-ha ! I'd seen the calf. Then I saw it again, headed upstream. I followed at a respectful distance, and lost it. I turned back, and as I did a fluke rose out of the Creek on the right bank. I then saw another manatee going back downstream, two white scars on its back making it easier to see in the dark water. Including the calf, there were three manatees in the area. No good pictures, here is a poor one.






I did not see any alligators, nor back into Palm Bay, any dolphins.


For some reason, the Goode Park boat ramp area is a major manatee hangout. One or more are almost always present. The reason may be dumb people feeding and petting them. As I approached the ramp, one woman was waving a piece of lettuce in the water, as another guy was tossing pieces of bread in the water. No manatees were present. There has been a sign outlining manatee rules at the Park for the 4 plus years I've been coming here. It is near the beginning of a finger pier, and not the dock where manatee meddlers congregate. Now, if I see a big sign, I'll read it, but I have never seen anyone go over and read the sign. Now, there is an additional sign, at the entrance to the main dock. Two smaller signs are on the dock itself.







Not only can't people read, they can't comprehend a picture with a slash through it.


Or they are blind. As I was taking the picture, a woman came on the dock with her son and grandchildren to look at the manatees. "People feed them" "It's illegal" I told her, "Look at the signs" "What signs?"


(sigh)



The kids did not see any manatees, but they, and I were thrilled to see a dolphin.

I had never seen one near the dock- which is why I had paddled into the Bay and Indian River searching for one. Which is why I love kayaking. you never know what you'll see but its always interesting.
A sneak preview of my July 4 weekend plans. I have a "State Forest Use Permit" to paddle Blackwater Creek. It's good the 4th thorough 9th. Very nice thing to have on one of the busiest boating days of the year. Not only is a permit required, but the combination to a locked gate is required.
So, I'm paddling (R)ock Springs Run
(W)ekiva River
and (B)lackwater Creek this upcoming holiday weekend.

No comments: