Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Haulover Canal





There are many ways to determine whether a kayaking excursion was enjoyable. I mean, more enjoyable, even more special than usual. One way is number of pictures taken. When I plugged the camera into the computer late today, Sunday, July 27, 2008, and press "download photos" it informed me I had taken 104 pictures. Usually I need some snorkeling shots to get that high.




But on a day when I had the Trifecta in the first twenty minutes, and Mullet Head Island hosted a diverse variety of birds, photo opportunities abounded.









As often is the case, a dolphin patrolled the waters of the Indian River just off the put in at the northeast corner of Haulover Canal. By the time I launched at 10:30, it moved on. As I paddled into the River, two manatees surfaced in a bay on by right. I paddled toward them, they headed into the River. I saw them surface a couple more times as I headed to the Mullet Head Island bird sanctuary.









The island was full. Pelicans, ibis, spoonbills, tri colored herons, reddish egrets, snowy egrets, great egrets, great blue herons, cormorants, black crowned night herons, all squawking, honking, whistling. I did not expect such a sight and sound on a summer day. More tri colored herons than I have ever seen in one place. Because it is a Sanctuary, boaters must keep back, so I can't do justice to the scene. Here is a reddish egret in the foreground, with at least 10 more herons, egrets and ibis in the background.






















All those birds caught the interest of an alligator who floated off the northeast corner of the Island. I had the Trifecta-Dolphin, Manatee and Alligator. With an asterisk, as the dolphin was spotted from land. That would change soon enough.







Here is a rosette spoonbill.






I circled Mullet Head, returning to the corner where I saw the alligator. It was now on the other side of the spit of land where cormorants, herons and pelicans stood. The gator was to far away for a picture, but I tried anyway.








I paddled back to the Canal, thinking about all I had seen in 45 minutes, lost in the moment, not paying close attention to the water immediately in front of me, when the yak ran aground, or rather ran amanatee. A gentle rub, it rolled away, we went our separate ways.







If you've been reading Dave's Yak Tales for a while, you know I did not enter the Canal, but the alternate channel to the south. If you are a new visitor, welcome aboard ! In the channel, I could get bird closeups, a juvenile ibis (not yet all white) and tri-colored heron.














The end of the channel, a cove where it meets the Canal lived up to the name I have bestowed upon it.









"Dolphin Cove" I could remove the * from the Trifecta.








Next stop, Bairs Cove. I saw a manatee eastbound as I entered the area. I lingered a bit, saw just one manatee. Right in the middle of the Cove- which is a basin with an active boat ramp. I told an incoming boater to look out- of course the manatee did not surface. I had to settle for a great egret photo.



























Next stop, the Manatee Overlook. Under the drawbridge and across the canal. On the way, the leader of half a dozen yakers said they saw a manatee. Likely the one I had seen headed east.








At the Overlook, people looked over the railing, and saw no manatees. I know that manatees often lay in the shade, just east of the Overlook. Two did so today. One with a horrific new propeller scar.











I assume its new, from the blood. I moved on, passing two greats,
















blue heron and egret, that is, before exiting the Canal through an opening on the left, north side. As usual, a fishing boat was anchored, and as usual, manatees were nearby. I paddled about, then exited another opening, back to the Canal and into Mosquito Lagoon. Still more manatees. An unsuccessful angler thought they were scaring away fish. I think high noon in July may not be the best time to be fishing. Other anglers eyed the water for a catch.










I paddled north, away from the distant launch towers, and left the main part of the Lagoon into a sheltered are behind a line of spoil islands. "Spoil" being the detritus of digging the Inter Coastal Waterway, or ICW. Additions to the day's bird list. Green heron and belted kingfisher. Back into the Canal via the same opening I came through earlier. The manatees were still there. Passing between the boat and shore, so not to run over lines, I tapped my PFD, and said, "I always make sure its tightly fastened having run over manatees on more than one occasion in this spot". They chuckled. My statement is true, the opening is narrow, people are always fishing, manatees like the area, and it can lead to yak rocking. No incident today.




I went back to the Overlook. The scarred sea cow was still there. This one followed me as I drifted.














Back to Bairs Cove, where several manatees frolicked.















This egret peered in for a closer look.







With a flick of a fluke, I departed.













Back to Dolphin Cove. The first picture is from this visit. Here's another.














Picture, same dolphin. Paddled out of the Canal, passing a snowy egret,







Into the Indian River, more manatees and another dolphin.


























made one more trip to Mullet Head Island.

















I landed at 3 pm, seeing a dolphin on the way in. 4.5 hours on the water. An easy day as much of the time was spent sitting and watching. Yesterday, I closed by quoting Mick. Today, Neil seems appropriate.

Big birds flying across the sky, throwing shadows on our eyes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Helpless"?! Perfect! What a great trip post and your closing music picks are great.