Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, August 24, 2008

1000 Islands, Cocoa Beach

Not to be confused with Ten Thousand Islands, Everglades.





Counting the North Carolina trip, I have four consecutive weekends of new paddling places for Dave's Yak Tales. This was my second visit to the 1000 Islands, located on the Banana River in Cocoa Beach, off A1A, just south of the Minuteman Causeway. I paddled it in March 2006. Today, Sunday, August 24, 2008 I made it back.






The boat ramp is at a park on the end of the appropriately named Ramp Road. I parked next to a concrete ramp, and walked to the restrooms. On the way, I passed a second, smaller concrete ramp, with a dock underwater. The restrooms appear to be permanently closed, so as I did a Who's Next homage behind the building I spotted the kayak launch. A cut in the mangroves with an astroturf ramp. Which was completely underwater. If you don't know, Cocoa Beach is in Brevard County, which was pummeled all week by Tropical Storm Fay. Lots of dry palm fronds down near the ramp. Here's a picture of the launch.














As I put in, I heard the distinctive, "Pheeww" of a surfacing manatee. I did not see it. Due to manatees, the entire 1000 Islands are a year round no wake area. The Islands were formed thousands of years ago, and mosquito control projects in the 1960's cut canals in the area. Perfect for paddling.







A marked channel, green and red day posts, passes the ramp. I took it north and east, famiarlizing myself with the area. Off the marked waterway a maze of mangrove islands waits to be explored. Homes line part of the north side of this channel. Fortunately, plans for more development of the area has been quashed.













Wading birds like the picture great blue and tri colored heron roost in the mangroves.





I paddled to a spot where a channel intersected the route I was taking. Manatees were in the intersection. Two are visible in the first photo. My last couple of manatee posts I had to apologize for poor photos. Not today.






One of the group decided to check me out. It pushed the yak for a while, than swam back and forth underneath the hull, coming up for a taste.

















Eventually, the sea elephant sought more interesting companions, and waved goodbye.





I followed the manatees, at a distance, back the way I came. After a while, the disappeared. I returned to the ramp, dropping off four glass bottles I retrieved from the water. Then back in the yak, this time south bound. Large condos or apartments line the west shore, but you can soon enter the mangrove maze and think you are in the middle of the Everglades or other wild location.












I entered the open water of the Banana River, hoping to add a dolphin to my manatee sighting. I did not see any.





Nor did I see the mantee(s) that surfaced below my kayak, raising it high out of the water, dropping it with a tremendous splash. I just griped my paddle and enjoyed the ride. As it was happened, I thought, this one could capsize me. It did not, but this is why I always wear a lifejacket. This is not the first time I've had a manatee surface below me. From the duration, splash, size of the wake as it, they swam away just below the surface, it had to be more than one. I provide entertainment for a father and son fishing . "How's your kayak ?" "Wet !"









After that open water thrill, I sought the sancturary of the mangroves. I do not think a canoe could make it through this tunnel.










Unless the paddler got off the seat and sat on the bottom. In a different mangrove maze I think I saw an alligator. I was focused on an osprey, but saw something floating at the entrance of another narrow cut in the mangroves. Could be a gator, I'll have to look closer after this picture, I thought.








When I turned around, the object was gone, but air bubbles floated to the surface. Pretty sure is was an alligator.






The mangrove islands can be confusing, this steeple is a good navigational aid.







It's close to the ramp area, which I passed, looking for more manatees.


I found two, in a residential canal, and observed them from a distance. "Leave them alone ! " an unseen voice rang out. Sounded like the classic mean old lady whose yard is foul territory because no one has the guts to get the ball out of her garden. As I was leaving them alone, I continued my observation, noting all the docks have power boats. I think Mrs Grumpy should be more concerned about her neighbors, but it is always good to see, or in this case hear, someone with a passion for manatees.

I spent about 4.5 hours on the water. The 1000 Islands are a great paddle, open water to narrow mangrove tunnels, lots of wildlife. I need to visit more than once every 31 months.

There is also a post on the Green Wave Forum.

http://www.clubkayak.com/greenwave/treports.asp?trip=251

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dave,

I just saw your post ... we are in the 10,000 Isands and Everglades Nat'l Park. I have never heard this area call the 1000 Islands before. Probably my ignorance, but what is the origin of the name? Any idea?

Dave said...

Orgin of name, 1000 Islands.

Classic Florida hyperbole is my guess. The following is from the City of Cocoa Beach:

To the west of the City, you will find the Thousand Islands. The Thousand Islands are located in the Banana River Aquatic Preserve. The Islands lying approximately half mile south of SR 520 and north of Minutemen Causeway are leased by the City from the State for 50 years, ending in 2041. They are a group of approximately fifty Islands some of which are naturally occurring while others were created during the development of Cocoa Beach and its canals in the 1950s and 1960s. The Islands range from a fraction of an acre to 200 acres, for a total of approximately 900 acres. Canoeing through the islands is a local favorite. Click here: "The Origin of the 1000 Islands."