Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Fay, Fay, Go Away !

I saw something today, Saturday, August 23, 2008, that I had not seen since Monday. Sun and blue skies. Tropical Storm Fay surrounded the Orlando/Winter Park area all week. First, coming in from the southwest on Tuesday, crossing the state south of here, than camping out for two days off the Brevard County coast. It began to move again Thursday afternoon, heading northwest. It rained almost non-stop since Tuesday. Thursday afternoon brought the worst for my location. Winds steady at 25 mph, gusting to 40. Lots of small branches, and the occasional large limb scattered about. But, Fay is finally moving away, northwest towards the Panhandle. So last night I searched for places where the weather may be suitable to paddle. But even going as far away as Jupiter and Jonathan Dickinson State Park to the southeast, and Sarasota and Myakka River State Park to the southwest, rain chances still were 50%. Locally, the forecast called for a 60% chance of showers. I decided to stay close to home and go the Wekiwa Springs State Park. If I got wet, I'd have a short drive home.












When I open the garage early this morning, I saw the moon, the clouds were finally breaking up. I put in at Wekiwa just before 7:00.









The drag to the launch was twenty five- thirty yards shorter than normal. Usually there's another ten yards of dry land in front of the trash receptacle and kiosk. The River was all the way up to and beneath the rental shack.














I cast off, seeing the boardwalk from the launch beach to the spring underwater, the footbridge separating the swim area from the paddling area above water, barely.















Downstream towards Rock Springs Run, I had to maneuver around a couple downed trees. The River, normally clear close to the Spring, was brown from runoff after four days of relentless rain. Also wide, spreading into the adjacent forest. I reached Rock Springs Run, also brown water. The current was not as swift as I expected. Water very high. I could not see a landmark, a sandbar, run right, protected by a wall of logs. All underwater.



My intent was to go upstream just past the campsites, than turn back. As I passed the 2 miles to Kings Landing Takeout sign (from the opposite direction) the current picked up. Instead of spreading across a broad area, the Run was being funneled in a narrow area. I still hoped to get to Big Buck and beyond. However, I came to a downed tree, just downstream of the Otter Campground. I saw a section of vines that perhaps I could force my way through, but decided against it. I decided to come about and go with the flow.





I had been out for a hour when I made the turn.




I saw limpkins, and more osprey than usual on the Run. More water than usual to find fish. As I paddled, I noticed something. Or rather, the lack of something. No high water marks on the trees. The Run was higher than the high water mark.








Back to the Wekiva, I followed it downstream. This great blue heron posed on a downed tree just upstream of the bridge before Wekiva Marina.







Years ago, I ate at the restaurant in this building, Alexanders. It closed after a fire. Perhaps it could have used the high water back then.










Canoes and the rental office at the Marina were inundated.












Turtles have their own homestead.









At 9:30, I paddled past the large, ancient shell mound. Today, the rope swing was this high.










August of 2007, this high.









I paddled past,thinking I'd take a break at the Buffalo Tram campsite, should it be empty. I don't know what I was thinking, after seeing the Shell Mound so low. Buffalo Tram was empty of campers, but full of River.











Last visit, the sign was well back of the bank. I paddled over the campground, I looked for the fire ring, but could not locate it in the dark water.






A trail, wide enough for Park service vehicles to traverse, leads away from the campsite. A good place to stretch your legs.







Today, you would have been wet to mid thigh. I headed up the trail for five minutes, until coming to downed limbs in the water/trail way. Beyond the obstacle the water was still navigable, but I reversed course. The Wekiva flowed deep into the palm and oak hammock, its amazing what four plus days of rain can do.





I left Buffalo Tram rejoining the "regular" channel of the Wekiva.













Here is the sign, from behind. Remember, it usually is set back 10-15 yards from the River.






With the Wekiva overflowing its banks, I explored places I have not been before, off the main channel. Back to the Shell Mound, I took a break on high dry ground. I packed the loaf of bread bag that held my sandwich and cookies with beer bottles and cans as I left.





I thought after four days of no sun, I would see more alligators. On the other hand, favorite sunning perches were underwater. I did see five, heard a sixth. Here are three.








And, the day's bird gallery.












Blue heron, limpkin, tri colored heron.




I saw two other paddlers, or four. Four guys in two canoes from the Wekiva Marina. Seems they opened for business despite the high water.











Motor boats are docked below the roof behind the blue walkway. The usual egress is beneath the boardwalk. They may stay docked awhile.





The first picture was taken as I paddled towards the Marina. At 11:30 on Saturday, the section between the Marina and the State Park is normally packed with paddlers. Today, none. I figured the Park was not letting people go out. I figured correctly. Not only was the rental concession closed, but as I returned, I saw yellow tape and signs announcing the shoreline and spring were closed. They had not been there when I put in.






This is a rare photo, looking at the empty Spring pool at 11:53 am on an August Saturday.







Here is how it usually looks on a weekend, this one, Sunday, May 28, 2008.


The lawn sure is greener today. I landed, gave two Park rangers a report on the conditions, then dragged the yak up the hill and tied it to the roof.


A swim would have been welcome, but as mentioned above, the Spring and entire shoreline was closed.
There are 5-6 submerged steps between the railings.
I had a fascinating paddle at my favorite, and home, venue. It was good to stay dry. Nothing like an early start. Out before 7, in just before noon. Its been raining most of the afternoon as I've been composing this Tale. I'll have to do another weather.com search to determine where I'll go tomorrow.

5 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

You're a real glutton for pleasure!

Jerry Lester said...

Nice report, Dave. I'll try to get on a feed for any future ones. (Is that possible?) I'm a new member of Green Wave Forum, and I've read a number of your excellent trip reports. The rivers are going to be full for a while, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Amazing...Nice pics and report. I'm planning a trip around Hontoon Island on Monday. Plan on launching across the river at Hontoon Island Park if the road isn't closed (Hontoon Rd to Rivers Ridge Rd.)The water is expected to keep rising for a few more days, at least the St. Johns.

"Meanwhile, along the St. Johns River water levels have tripled near Lake Harney since Thursday and may rise at least 6 more inches, according to forecasts from the weather service. A flood warning remains in effect along the river. Farther along the river, levels are expected to continue rising, threatening homes on Stone Island and along Hontoon Road. The river is expected to crest within the next four days, county officials said Saturday."
http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/frtHEAD01CANE082408.htm

I enjoy reading your reports here and at the GW forum. Thanks

RiverJack

Anonymous said...

Great post! There was nothing very specific on the news or elsewhere about the water level (let alone paddling conditions) at this place. Man, you sure got in there and got us the scoop - much appreciated. Can't believe what you found. We've gone from bottom-scraping in some spots and now this. Thanks for the report and photos.

Dave said...

In response to Jarry's inquiry, it is possible to get feeds. Here's how:


At the bottom of the blog, above the links you will
see

Subscribe to: Posts (Atom) Blog Archive

Click it and, hopefully, after a few clicks, your home
page will alert you to updates. I tested it- it works
for Yahoo- and I'd assume other major sites