Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, August 25, 2008

Haulover Canal

I worked from 3:00 to 7:00 today, August, 25 2008, so I took advantage and paddled the Haulover Canal this morning. On the way, via Highway 50, I saw how much rain Fay dumped on, and in, the lower St Johns River. Yesterday, I crossed the River on 520 on the way out, the BeeLine on the way back, so I've had three perspectives. It will take a long time for all that water to drain out of the surrounding lowlands, pasture, marshes, and head toward Jacksonville.





My usual put in on the northeast side of the Canal was closed. A gate crossing the dirt road, first time I've seen that. There is a sign at the entrance "If Littering Continues, The Area Will Be Closed For 30 Days " Was it closed for that reason, or was the road washed out, or did a Federal employee not wake up ? Later, I asked some anglers at the launch how the road was, they said fine. Dedicated, they parked and walked. I put in at the other side, near the Bairs Cove Ramp. A tour group from a local outfit, A Day Away Tours, was at the same spot, guide on his phone, directing guests to the new put in. I got set to go, grabbed the sunscreen, which wasn't there. Oh well, I'll only be out a couple hours, how red can I get ?





I headed out, reached for my watch, forgot that too. I'd use the tour group as my watch, figuring they had a two hour tour. My tour began at the manatee hangout, Bairs Cove. None made their prescience known. I headed west, towards the Indian River, past a great blue heron, snowy egret, and great egret.







Into the Indian River, a dolphin broke the surface to my left. More dolphins ahead, as I made way to Mullet Head Island.







This pic, and the opener, are that pod.




High water affects bird life. I usually see waders, herons, egrets, on Mullet Head. Today, the only waders were ibis. Lots of roosting divers, cormorants and pelicans.





The white fluff is a baby pelican. I need to take time to learn the video function on my camera. More for sound than movies. The cacophony raised by the cormorants was interesting.



Here is the usual Mullett Head bird perched on Refuge sign shot, this time an osprey.







I paddled back to the Canal, no boats as you can see.










As usual, I did not enter the Canal from the perspective in the photo, but from the channel to the north, right in this view. Saw another dolphin. Along with another indication of highwater, a low limestone, tree covered barrier between the main canal and my route. In normal conditions, the limestone is much higher.




No dolphins in "Dolphin Cove", nor manatees in Bairs Cove. On the the Manatee Overlook, where, after waiting, I saw a manatee raise its fluke. On towards the Mosquito Lagoon, where, in the cut leading to the protected bay like area, another dolphin hunted.










Again, deeper than usual water was a factor, this area is usually quite shallow, this dolphin was further in the area than I have seen in my four years visiting Haulover Canal.








I paddled on, exiting back into the Canal from another cut, into the Mosquito Lagoon, around and island, the first of a string that go on to the north, back into the sheltered bay. The dolphin was gone, but a manatee surfaced in the same area. Meanwhile, two manatees came up loudly in the canal, spray blowing from of their noses, flukes raised high, backs arched, as the were in a hurry to get somewhere. This great blue heron, on the other hand, was patient.





I kayaked back to the Overlook, and saw a manatee. Got a picture, barely, but since I have good photos from yesterday at 1000 Islands, I won't post it. I also saw the tour group for the first time since I put in. They landed, I went to Bairs Cove. Again, no manatees seen. I went on the Dolphin Cove, into the Canal a bit, than back to Bairs. It is the rare occasion that I don't see manatees here, and on the fourth visit today, I saw one. Also this bird duo.







Here's a close up of the reddish egret.











I had a nice two hours on the water, which is plenty of time for a bright, red sunburn. The SPF 30 was on the kitchen counter, where it had fallen out of the cooler.


Hopefully I'll have is Saturday afternoon, when I'll be yaking again, after working the a.m. to make up for today's short day.



A final photo.

No comments: