Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Manatee in Wekiwa Spring

I took place in an historic event today, Thursday, August 28, 2008. Not the Democratic National Convention. Even more historic. Not Brett Favre preparing to play for some team other than the Green Bay Packers. Even rarer. I swam near a manatee in Wekiwa Spring.

I am glad I grabbed the local section of the Orlando Sentinel after finishing the sports pages at lunch. Or I would have missed this article.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/seminole/orl-manatee2808aug28,0,4985605.story

The printed page had a picture, the web link does not. After reading, I knew where I was going after work.

I arrived at the Park, and walked down the steps to the Spring. Hoping for a chance to see a manatee where they have not been spotted in generations. After reading the article, I assumed swimming would not be allowed, but had the snorkel gear in the car just in case. As I got closer, I saw a group of 15-20 people standing on the concrete deck overlooking the Spring vent. A couple folks were in the water. And, from the loud conversation, so was a manatee. I did not see it, but dashed up the stairs, got on my swim trunks, grabbed the snorkel gear, and hurried back to the Spring. But, just as I was about to go in, a ranger came and instructed those in the water to get out. So sat on the edge, hoping for a glimpse. Which was difficult, as I my glasses were on a bench with the rest of my stuff. After awhile, I got up to get my glasses. Back to the edge, I commented to a gentleman in a wetsuit that noisy kids playing on the steps were as loud as a motor boat, keeping the manatee submerged. He agreed, saying if people had kept quiet, the ranger may not have come down. Eventually, I saw air bubbles, but no manatee. Finally, I saw it, just a brief look at the snout as it came up for air.

The manatee was in the center of the pool. The ranger eased the no swim ban, saying we could swim around the rim of the Spring pool, but if the manatee approached, we would have to get out.

So I began to snorkel. The water was a bit cloudy from the recent record rainfall. I could not see the manatee as I circled the pool. A second lap, and I saw it. I took a few pictures, but distance, cloudy water, and late hour conspired against me. As did the ranger, who told me to move away as the Spring flow pushed me towards the manatee. I gave the ranger a thumbs up, and moved closer to the edge. I made another lap and a half, but did not see the manatee again. It must have swam out of the pool into the Lagoon area, as a few folks were back swimming in the middle of the Spring pool.

Earlier this year, I wrote about seeing a manatee near Katies Landing. That manatee made it as far as the State Road 46 Bridge http://davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2008/04/wonderous-wekiva.html

That seacow was 10 miles downstream of the Spring, and was a rare sighting. A manatee in the Spring is something never seen,as far as I know, in recorded history. If you have read more than three Tales on this site, you know I see manatees often, and have had the opportunity to get close. But to see one in my "home " Spring, above water, in the water, in the center of the State of Florida, was special, even if I do not have a photo to post.

1 comment:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

In the center of Florida? That's some genius of a swim.