Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mosquito Lagoon

Lots, 10 or more dolphins, at least 15 manatees, Sunday, September 28, 2008. The day began well. I had my three dollars ready at the entrance station, only to have the ranger say "No fee today" Later, I asked why-National Public Lands Day.


I put in at the usual spot, the parking lot near the Eldora State House. Two anglers were blocking the narrow gap in the bushes with tackle, and a chaise lounge. They moved it a bit, as I muttered about why set up camp at the launch- there's a lot of shore to fish from, and docks.




Usually I paddle south, towards Turtle Mound, today, I went the other direction. The water level in the Lagoon is high, I was able to go in areas I haven't explored thanks to the water level.





Here I am paddling out one of the flooded areas.






I passed a couple fishing from their boat who told me they saw 6 manatees. Before or after that boat, I asked, pointing to a vessel near shore. Before. I said thank you, and paddled on.



Scanning the water, paying attention to the shoreline, I ddi not see any manatees. Perhaps they were beyond the other craft ? I continued, until I heard the distinctive exhale of a surfacing manatee. On my right, towards the middle of the Lagoon. I paddled out, and sure enough there were about six manatees. I watched them, and we were soon joined by the dolphin in the first photo. No good manatee photos.




Nice great blue heron.



I saw another 3 manatee. and 4 or five dolphins as I paddled past Castle Windy. Since I did not begin by paddling north, I paddled further south in Mosquito Lagoon than ever before.







Castle Windy and Turtle Mound are the two largest shell mounds in the Lagoon, at least in the National Seashore area.



I think I found another.






In addition to the aquatic mammals, I saw egrets, herons, great blue and tri colored, belted kingfishers, gulls, vultures, osprey, pelicans and lots of leaping fish. Here's a great egret.


And one of the many manatees.

I continued to see manatees and dolphins as I returned. A smaller group, 4, was where I saw the six earlier, this time joined by two dolphins.

As I neared Eldora, I said to my self I wanted to see 5 more mammals before landing. I was near the landing, so it would be tough. I "only" saw three. All manatees. I went beyond the landing, hoping to get to five, but saw no more. I landed at 3, a 4.5 hour day.

Time to catch the last 8 minutes of the Packer game at JB's Fish Camp. Can't win them all. But then, the last two innings of the Brewers wild card clincher. Along with oyster stew and a crab sandwich.

1 comment:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

What a swell way to finish the day. I much love that kind of chow.