Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Rock Springs Run

I have a deer photo for the first time in ages. Got out on Rock Springs Run this morning Tuesday September 9, 2008.


Alligators too.









But that's nothing new. This is one of eleven gators I saw. It's possible I saw just ten, as this one dove in after I took the picture, and on the way back I saw a similar looking reptile nearby.


I was in the Wekiva at 9:30. Water level is slowly returning to normal, but still is higher than usual. Water clarity is improving a little bit.















This is the scene just off the launch. The Springs are on the other side of the foot bridge. The Weikva is now clear as far as a maze of downed trees about 10 minutes downstream. It's good to see the bass and turtles below again. Past the maze, brown runoff continues to spill into the River from the banks.





Rock Springs Run remains darker, and swifter than normal. Higher, but not as high as it has been. The log lined sandbar on the right as one heads upstream is again visible. Not as large as it was pre-Fay, but can be landed upon.




I paddled upstream, past Big Buck, turning back at 11:00.

I assume this is a doe, not a buck as it was accompanied by two smaller deer.







I was unable to get a family portrait. At least I have the first deer from the yak photos since July 12 on Juniper Creek, and the first on Rock Springs Run since May 18.






Another sign of lower water level, Indian Mound Campsite.











Ten days ago, August 31, the Run was above the roots, the bank an inch or so above the surface. Someone or something has removed all the dead fish that greeted me last time.




I like daredevil turtles.





Precariously peering past the parapet.




My neck is sore just looking at this tri colored heron.






Of the 11 gators, 7 were little fellers, like these two.




Yes, two. That's a tail hanging at the top of the log.





I did not see any people this weekday morning until past noon, as I neared the Wekiva.



Turtles in the lagoon.






The final alligator of the day.


A pleasant 3 plus hours on the water. I did not swim, if I did, things would have been tight getting to work on time at three. On the other hand, had I swum, I could have skipped a shower. Naaaa.

No comments: