Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Blue Spring Snake Creek

I went to Blue Springs State Park Sunday, November 23, 2008 and paddled the Snake Creek, Hontoon Dead River, northernmost canal loop. It warmed up enough to get gators out, yet still cool enough for lots of manatees to gather in and near Blue Springs Run.







I launched at 9, after talking to the tour boat captain about what he knew about the status of the old launch area. He did not know any more than me. The old launch area has been




closed since the end of August and Tropical Storm Fay. Two months later, there still is little room in that area, the St Johns is still a bit higher than normal. A nice thing about the old launch area is it is on the edge of the seasonal manatee refuge, and you can get a good look at the seacows as you launch and land.




These cormorants are on the buoy line marking the "No Motorized Boats" area. Not being a motorized boat, I crossed over. This is the area near the old launch site. Since November 15 a second barrier restricts any access further up Blue Springs Run. This will remain until March.



I saw a few manatees heading out to the St Johns to feed. I did the same. Not feed, but out to the St Johns. The manatees went north, I went south to Snake Creek. One fishing boat was on the River.




Here's your typical tri colored heron photo. elegant bird, flowing neck. Here's the same bird, a bit more gawky pose.









Into Snake Creek, more birds.

Ibis







Great Egrets.










It's good to see big gators enjoying the sun on Sunday.






I took a picture of another tri colored heron, and looking in the screen, wondered why it was upside down.














Oh.











A panoramic view of Snake Creek.








Here is a closer view of the gator on the left from the first photo.



Unbeknownst to me, there was a third gator. It became knownst as it sensed me getting a bit to close, and entered the St Johns, followed by the other two. I was back in the St Johns, having gone down the Snake to the Hontoon Dead River, south on the HDR to the northernmost canal and back to the St Johns. The gators were on my left, a few minute later, manatees on my right.















Several feeding in an area where I frequently find them.



I had been out over three hours, and had only seen one other boat. Here's more wildlife.
















Cormorant, snowy egret, turtle.

















Back to Blue Spring, where now other boaters were on the River. Power boats moving slowly, one not slow enough, until I responded to his wave by pointing at the Idle Speed sign (how do illiterates afford boats?) and rental canoes from the State Park.
I hung outside the outer barrier watching manatees come and go. I then checked out the nearby island, and came back. One manatee, picture earlier, came in for a closer inspection. Here's another view.







I landed, got the yak on the car, then took a 7.5 mile bike ride on the new path just outside the Park entrance. The parking lot, which had been almost empty when I arrived, was now almost full. A line of cars was at the entrance station as I pedaled out. The reason for the crowd?


Manatees. The Run was jam packed with them. I tried to count, and stopped at fifty. A woman told be she got to seventy. Blue Spring Run is now very clear, almost all the way to the St Johns, so the view from the boardwalk is very good.

Another fine Florida November weekend. Deer and bear in the Ocala National Forest Saturday, alligators and manatees along the St Johns Sunday. I can't wait for the upcoming four day weekend.


2 comments:

Benz said...

Just a general comment. I'm looking at paddling options in central Florida and your site rocks. Nice work. Thanks ...

Dave said...

You are welcome. I just hope my yak dosen't roll...... over.