Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Econlockhatchee River

It had been too long, May, since I last paddled the Econlockhatachee River. My intent was to do it tomorrow, Sunday, utilizing the car bike shuttle and going downstream. I went to work this morning, yak on car, thinking I would go to Tampa and the Hillsborough River. But I worked 45 minutes later than I had planned, so decided to go someplace closer. I still wasn't sure where I'd go as I headed north on Semoran Blvd/State Road 436. 436 leads to the interstate, which would take me to the Wekiwa, the St Johns, DeLeon Springs, Alexander Creek. Arriving at the intersection of 436 and Red Bug Lake Rd, mind still not made up, the light was red. The right turn arrow to Red Bug Lake Road was green. That's the way to the Econ. I turned, decision by traffic control.








It was a good decision. I put in at the Snow Hill Road Bridge. Two cars were parked along the gravel path. On the way in, I saw no cars at the 419 Bridge. Looked like River traffic would be light. I was in the water at 1:40, and began to paddle upstream against a moderate current. Just minutes after I began, a huge alligator slid off the sandy right bank as I approached. It was the beginning of a great afternoon of gator watching.









This photo was taken at 2:17.






















This one at 2:40









Profile

















Head on










After two hours, I turned around. I was about 10 minutes upstream of the high ground on the right as you come downstream. A spot where the River splits, head right, it eventually dead ends, but I always explore the area. There's a eagle nest, and I saw an alligator. As for gators, I lost count of how many I saw. People on the water was easy. Three kayaks. More folks on shore, camping, fishing, hiking and biking in the Little Big Econ State Forest.







This gator was seen at 4:32.

















This one, 5:15.














The 5:15 alligator is the same one in the 2:40 photo. Look for the red circle in front of the rear leg. Click on the photos to enlarge.












I saw birds as well.




Anhinga, female.






Blue Heron










Snowy egret.


















Great blue heron.



















The tree the blue heron is on would make a fine bald eagle perch, but alas, I saw no eagles this trip. I did see ibis, hawks, kingfishers, great egrets, tri colored herons, woodpeckers and assorted song birds in addition the the ones pictured.



I had to go off the main channel for these sand hill cranes.









There is an opening, downstream left, that leads to a open grassy area. Grassy when River levels are low, a little lake when high. Water levels are coming down. As if today you can paddle into this area, ducking under a log over another and see the cranes, herons and egrets feeding in the saturated grass.




Here is the 5:38 gator sighting. With all the alligators, I though maybe I'd get an action video. A gator bursting into the water with a mighty splash. Of course, this one just lay there. Enjoy the movie.



I think I landed about 6:15, 6:30. According to the Florida Greenways and Trails, its 8 miles from the 419 bridge to the Snowhill bridge. I'd guess I went about 5 miles upstream, then down. For less than 5 hours on the water, my arms are pretty sore. Perhaps the current was a bit stronger than "moderate".

On the way home, a flock of vultures hopped about the side of Snowhill Road. A deer had not made it across.

No comments: