Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Silver River and Alexander Creek

Day Three of the Thanksgiving Yakapalooza took me to the Silver River. It had been awhile since I paddled the Silver, June 28, five months ago. I was on the water at 7:45, warm water and cool air creating an ethereal mist. So early, the birds were asleep.








I put in at Ray's Wayside Park, one of two places to launch on the River, the other being Silver River State Park.











As I was starting, a couple in a small boat with a very noisy motor, an old clunker with no cover, began going up the River. Great, I'm behind Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Fortunately, they stopped, and I had the Silver River to myself the entire five miles to the head springs theme park area.












It took just under two hours to do the upstream trip. I did not think the Park was open when I arrived before 10. Which meant no glass bottom boats getting in my way as I viewed scenes like these.



















Tri colored and blue heron in a patch of swamp sunflowers.










One of many springs.



















10:00 am and cormorants are still asleep.

















This great blue heron was wide awake, not sure about the alligator.









Great Egret, 1. Ibis, many.






















The day turned warm. Folks coming upstream were shirtless. As were sun basking gators.

































A guy takes enough pictures, sooner or later he gets one that will be on screen savers worldwide.









For the first time I, and perhaps you, dear reader, can see why this is called a "green" heron. I may be wrong about the screen saver thing, but I like it.










Nice, Dave, my public thinks, but where are the monkeys ?


















On the left side of the River, downstream of the State Park overlook, upstream of the Park launch. My attention was drawn by the crashing of foliage. My first thought was deer, then recalling where I was, it had to be monkeys jumping from tree to tree. It was. A large troop, up to 25 rhesus monkeys.

































I stopped at the Silver River State Park launch. The Park now has canoe rentals. This cuts the trip upstream in half. If you bring your own, its a long walk from the parking lot. Has to be a half mile. May as well launch at Ray's Wayside. Here's the view from the launch, which has a bench wear I had lunch.














Here's the view from the seat of my yak.















More paddlers than powerboats on the River. Most powerboats complied with the No Wake, Idle Speed restriction.




I landed at 12:30. Lots of day left, so I headed to Alexander Creek. A short paddle from the bridge to the Rec area and a snorkel in the Spring.




















The incoming paddle had a lot of activity. I have never seen so many people fishing the Creek. All in rental canoes. When I landed, half a dozen kayaks lay on or near the ramp. A big group had just landed. But, after my swim and walk on the 1.1 mile Timucan Trail, I had the Creek to myself.







Beauty









Beast













Anhinga















Three in one pic.
















This bird was to far away for complete ID, but it does have the classic eagle profile. No white noggin, perhaps a young bald eagle.
















Here is an osprey, at close range.




Another day, another paddle. I love November.

No comments: