Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Back to Sanibel





I did return to Sanibel Island, Friday, December 19, 2008. In the evening, so to late to kayak, but my kayak did get out. Nephew Evan took it to Tarpon Bay. Siblings Arlo and Elena, and friend Aaron joined in rentals. I don't recall if their Mom, my sister, joined in. My family is to big to keep track of all comings and goings.




The above photo is from my paddle Saturday, December 20, 2008. It is the of two bridges between the Causeway and the Lighthouse on Peiwinkle Way. I've driven and biked over the bridge since 1988, this was the first time I paddled below it. I turned around just past the bridge, I think I was out about two hours. My launch site was the condo we are staying at, the last building before the Lighthouse on the San Carlos Bay side of Sanibel Island.















This high rise bridge replaced the old draw bridge a couple years ago.









I thought of brother Pete when I saw this nice wood sailboat.










These boats need a really long paddle.



















The yachts are berthed at the Sanibel Marina. This short trip from the eastern tip of Sanibel was in the part of the Island first developed, as it is near where the ferry landed. But, wildlife, the bird variety is common even on the "urban" part of Sanibel.













The pelicans, spoonbills and reddish egret- far right, rear, weren't from the paddle but a morning drive through Ding Darling with Mom and sister Monica. Not a bad photo from the back seat of a Mini Cooper.






Here is the Lighthouse, and the Lighthouse Condo, my base of operations.








The Lighthouse was one of three facilities the gang, which I think peaked at 15 people, occupied. Shell Island is in the background of this sand and more sculpture



Detail. Seems like a lot of work, but beats snow shoveling.


I hope the sailboat did not fall off the edge. Sunset from Fort Myers Beach.

No comments: