Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Econlockhatchee River

I paddled the Econlockhatchee River today, December 7, 2008. Unlike my last two Econ trips, this time I did the car-bike shuttle. Dropped the yak at the 419 Bridge, drove to the Snow Hill Road Bridge, dropped the car and biked 5.35 miles, against a strong west wind back to 419 to start the 8 mile downstream trip.







There were three cars in the small, 6 space, County Road 419 lot when I arrived. A couple carried a kayak down the long sloping hill as I arrived. By the time I dragged my yak to waters edge, they were gone. At Snow Hill Road, a line of vehicles, all pick ups, lined the gravel drive.




I was in the water at 9:50. Cool, windy, no clouds.






I saw no one on the water until I was almost at Snow Hill Road. However, I was not alone in the Little Big Econ State Forest. Campers, bikers and hikers were enjoyed a winter day in Florida.




I took just fifteen pictures, which is low for me. But as I look at them, I did get a nice variety with those few photos. That's a red shouldered hawk, above.






Blue heron



Tri colored heron






Belted king fisher.




The "belt" is around the neck. Kind of a high water belt if you ask me. Which leads to the next picture.







Which shows how the water level on the Econ varies with the seasons. Unlike a lot of places I paddle, the Econ is not spring fed. It depends on rainfall and runoff. As the photo proves, it is low now. Not too low, I never ran aground.


Except intentionally when I landed at the Flagler Trail Bridge, ate and took a 20 minute walk.




The Econ is a good spot to see big alligators and bald eagles. I was not fortunate enough to see an eagle on the 8 mile plus paddle. 8 miles from 419 to Snow Hill. I went a little bit past Snow Hill on the "more you paddle the more you see" theory. In twenty-five minutes I saw a great blue heron, a great egret and a cormorant, no eagles. Earlier, I saw my one alligator of the day.

A big one, 9-10 feet if it was an inch. If I'm going to see one, may as well be a big 'un.

Note to my readers. I will not be posting any Tales next weekend. Don't worry, I'll be paddling, in Sanibel. Look for a brief Tale or two a week from Tuesday, full coverage Weds.


No comments: