Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Orange River

Thanks to a generous brother, I have spent a few days at Sanibel Island, Florida almost every year since 1988. Two years natural phenomena prevented the trip. Hurricane Charley in 2004, and the birth of Pat & Eileen's second child in 1989. Sanibel is located off the coast of Fort Myers, Florida. I did not kayak here until 2003, when I went out with that second kid to Tarpon Bay and Commodore Creek. Since 2005, my kayak has made the 210 mile trip from Winter Park to Sanibel.









This year's visit began early on Saturday, December 13, 2008. I was in Fort Myers before 9:30 am. I decided to visit Manatee Park on the Orange River. It took a while to find it, not going far enough once, then going the wrong way, but I did locate it, just east of I-75 on State Highway 80.



Parking is $5. Kayak rentals are available. Here they are stacked at the launch area.







A short, narrow, mangrove lined channel leads to the Orange River. Very low. I heard on the radio that the moon would be closer to the Earth this weekend than at any time until 2016. The Orange River, a tributary of the Caloosahtchee River, is influenced by tides, which are affected by the moon.










With a name like Manatee Park, you expect manatees. The Park's location is near a power plant. River water used to cool the plant comes out in a canal much warmer than when it went in. Manatees congregate in the warm waters. Or so I had read. I paddled to the fence blocking access to the canal and did not see any manatees. I then headed upstream. Two anglers asked if I saw any tarpon. I had not, but then was not looking for the big fish. It make sense tarpon would be here, just as I have seen them in the warm waters of Blue Spring Run and King's Spring. Here is some of the wildlife spotted on the Orange.


















I paddled for an hour, than turned around. I saw just one more boat. There are homes along the River, some very nice, but the most of what I saw is not occupied.






Here is how one River front owner gets his craft in and out at low tide.











On my return to the Park, two paddlers in rental were near the canal. I paddled towards them and saw the first manatee of the day. Eventually I saw at least five. No photos. The water is dark, the manatees surfaced infrequently, and I learned why water flowing out of a power plant is called a "discharge" It does "charge" out at a furious pace, making it hard for a kayak to stay in place.





I landed, checked out more manatees in the canal, again without pictures. Of manatees. The walkway along the canal has a nice garden along its entire length. A variety of flowers attracts a variety of butterflies.













More colorful fliers spotted off Lighthouse Point when I got to Sanibel Island.

Final flights before the sun went down.

I also have a Trip Report posted on the Green Wave Forum.

http://www.clubkayak.com/greenwave/treports.asp?trip=309

No comments: