Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Rock Springs Run

I finished 2008 with a splash at Rock Springs Run, Sunday, December 28, 2008. This is also where I paddled on New Year's Day, 2008,so it is appropriate the last paddle of the year was here. Not to mention about another 20. I'll have to do a count. 12-30-08-just counted. 24 Rock Springs Run trips in 2008.







I launched at 9:00, steam rising. Didn't see that on Sanibel.

















A lot of algae on the surface of the lagoon, as you can see.








Here is a bird I did not see at Sanibel, a limpkin.

















Nor did I see any deer in southwest Florida,














This big eared yearling, near its mother, was one of three deer I saw. I saw as many paddlers, all in kayaks as I went up Run for two hours, turning back where the woods close in again past Big Buck camp- where folks were camping. The other two sites were empty. I took advantage, stopping at the Indian Mound site. This is where the splash mentioned at the beginning of the Tale took place.









Instead of putting the yak back in the water, getting in the water myself, and stepping in, I decided to push straight off the rooted bank. That way I wouldn't get wet. Wrong. I balanced on the edge, pushed off, the bow went under a bit, as expected, I expected it to come up, it did not, and I rolled over. Either to steep an angle, or the stern caught a root, or both. Looking at the bright side, it cleaned the salt water out of the yak from Sanibel, and was refreshing on a hot 80 degree day.







As I gathered my things and dried off, renters from Kings Landing began to go by. I would not have seen them had I launched successfully. Perhaps 6 canoes.

























As I neared the Wekiva, there were more people than I have ever seen paddling up the Run. Inspired by Dave's Yak Tales ?









































The blue heron was back on the Wekiva. I thought of paddling downstream, but three boats were ahead, so I decided to call it a day. Besides, it was my fifth straight day on the water, which beats my record of four. The way back to Wekiwa Springs was more crowded than I have ever seen it.












Somehow, an alligator hidden in the vegetation ignored the hubbub. I would had missed it but a kayker pointed it out to some canoers- "behind the blue heron and turtles".
















Surprisingly, I did not see any gators down at Sanibel.





Nor could I enjoy a refreshing dip in a spring in southwest Florida.






For some reason, there were not many people in the Spring. Fine with me. The water was clear, more pan fish than usual in the pool.

I had a great time the past two weeks exploring places old and new near Sanibel, but is is nice to have Wekiwa Springs, the Wekiva River and Rock Springs Run close to home.

See ya next year.

No comments: