Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Sanibel, Christmas Eve

I closed my last report writing I hoped to be back in the waters off Sanibel Island at 4:00 PM, Christmas Eve, December 24, 2008. I was a bit off. The above picture of the Sanibel Fishing Pier was taken at 4:15, just after I shoved off from the beach in front of the condo, the closest condos to the pier on the San Carlos Bay side of Sanibel. I did basically the same paddle I did December 20, east along the shore to the canals, past the Marina, to the bridge over Periwinkle and back.

















A stiff breeze came out of the east, at my back on the way out. No problem in the canal.




The wind was in my face on the return trip. As it was short, no problem. Later in the weekend I would face a stronger wind and a much longer paddle. I went to the other side of the pier, took a lighthouse photo,





and a sunset shot before landing.














A short paddle, just over an hour. The joys of living, temporarily, on the water. In ten minutes, the yak was back on the lanai, and I was walking the uncrowded beach. At least it was on the Bay side. As I rounded Lighthouse Point, a huge crowd gathered. A sunset Christmas service.







Only the lecter and the dog in the picture were looking at the sunset.









More interesting stuff on the beach. The sand castle and fish from 12-20were still on the beach. Joined by new creations.













Back to the condo, I left the camera at the door, and went to get some things from my car. Of course, a photo opportunity presented itself. A screech owl on a post. I went for the camera, the owl flew off. Not far, I was able to find it.


No comments: