Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Winter Park Chain



A short two hour, four lake paddle this morning, Tuesday December 9. 2008. I launched from Fort Maitland Park, on the shores of Lake Maitland, just before 9 am.







Lake Maitland, the largest lake in the chain, was calm, sky blue, temps warm. A single sculler skimmed the lake. Later, a single speed boat went by. I paddled to the Venetian Canal.











On to Lake Osceola, and the Albin Polasek Sculpture Garden.











Next, the Fern Canal

















To Lake Virginia and Knowles Chapel at Rollins College.












A short paddle to the Genius Canal















And Lake Mizell, the fourth lake of the morning.















More canal views. Fern Canal.


















Entering Lake Osceola.














Venetian Canal.


















I was surprised to see the gumbo limbo tree, its the red tree, and is not native to Winter Park. But, neither is bamboo, and there are huge stands of that tropical plant along the canals.








Because of time constraints, I paddled mostly across the middle of the lakes, which cuts down on bird watching. Here are a few I did see.


















Anhigas, blue heron, cormorant, and coots.






Osprey

I was struck by how yellow this anhinga's feet are.





In addition to the two boats mentioned earlier, I saw about 6 in two hours. The Scenic Boat Tour pontoon, and kayaks. The wind picked up, Lake Maitland became rough.








Preparing me for the open water of San Carlos Bay and Tarpon Bay of Sanibel Island this weekend. Today, I drove 1.2 miles to kayak. Saturday, about 220, but I'll spend three days in Sanibel with family and friends. No reports until Tuesday night, so catch up on the archives for your weekly Yak Tales fix.


No comments: