Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hontoon Loop

I arrived at Blue Spring State Park at 7:50 am, Saturday, January 10, 2009. Too bad it doesn't open until 8:00. By being first at the gate, I was in the water at 8:20. For the first time since August, I launched from the "traditional" area at the mouth of Blue Spring Run . The rentals are still located a bit up/south on the St Johns shore, where they have been since Tropical Storm Fay raised the River to unprecedented heights. The yellow tape was gone at the old launch, so I put in there. As you may know, this area is between two bouy lines, the inner, no access during the winter manatee season, the outer, no motor boats. I often lolly gag here, watching manatees. There were manatees about, but I paddled out to the St Johns. A significant crowd had already gathered on the boardwalk to watch the manatees, I wanted to set a good example, observing from a distance. Not to mention, the steam coming off the warm spring run wasn't conducive to manatee pics. On the other hand, a photo of a manatees breath, through the mist, would have been sweet. Maybe next time.









I pointed the yak north, and began the downstream paddle towards Hontoon Island State Park. As usual, I circled the island on the west bank, across from the French Avenue "ramp".








Saw a bird I could not identify.

















Until I got home and looked it up. American bittern. The bittern winters in Florida. Nice to add a new bird to past sightings of huge gators, bald eagles and mantees, seen on prior trips around the little island, a wildlife mecca. None of the latter trio here today, but this is a pretty good photo of a great egret and tri colored heron.






Talk about lucky. Usually my in flight shots are blurry. Not this time, and the reflection !


The St Johns was quiet, I don't think I saw five boats until I reached Lake Beresford. A quiet River is good for birding.







Woodstork.










Limpkins.






Tri colored heron.




















For the first time in a long time, a couple years, I stopped at the developed area of Hontoon Island State Park. It is only a little over an hour's paddle to get to the docks, and I usually continue and stop at a landing on the backside of the Island. But, that landing is closed, so I decided to revisit the area where the ferry lands. The Park's rentals are stacked on a dock that has a lower deck for launching paddle craft. I docked, pulled the yak on the dock, as a ranger came carrying PFDs and paddles for a couple going out in a canoe. After helping them, I asked her if my yak was okay where it was. She said I should move it to one of the finger piers, away from the rentals, and helped carry it. Talk about service.











I then hiked the 1.5 mile trail to the Shell Mound at the southwest corner of the Island. Saw pileated woodpeckers, another smaller, woodpecker, and hawks. At trail's end, the top of the mound, a huge rookery fed in the hardwood swamp below. There had to be 50 ibis, 20 great egrets, 10 wood storks. What a sight. Also impressive, the entire aviary bursting into flight. Why they did, I don't know, I was quiet. All it takes is one bird to take flight, and, boom ! they were gone.






The three mile out and back walk took 75 minutes. I then visited the small, but interesting. museum. Animal displays and historical artifacts. Most of the artifacts donated from the collection of a one time paper boy, who as Indian mounds were desecrated for road projects, would find arrow heads and other antiquities as he delivered the morning paper to homes on the new roads.




Replicas of two totems found in the area are in the main picnic area.







The owl is the largest found in Florida to date.








If, like me, you enjoy solitude, keep walking past the playground, main picnic area, and restrooms, there are two secluded picnic tables. Here is the view.






I left Hontoon Island State Park at noon, pleased to see the "Bold Eagle" out of Green Bay proudly flying a Packer ensign.












To the Hontoon Dead River. A lot of boats, few moving. Folks fishing. Wading birds also.












For a while, it seemed as every other log,









was occupied by an alligator.


















Not one left its perch as I approached.





















Winter lethargy, perhaps ?























Or do they know a cold front is forecast, and want to store as much of the sun's energy as possible?






















Turtles also soaked up the sun.









Two little gators, thinking "Just a little closer..."




















The sunny weather was accompanied by a south wind, a wind I was paddling into on the wide Hontoon Dead River. So, I took the narrower Snake Creek to avoid the wind, and boats. I did see five paddlers in Snake Creek, which is a lot for the secluded water way.











The gator in the opening photo is from Snake Creek. I think the flock of ibis from the Shell Mound found their way to the Creek.




















Snake Creek was about a 90 minute trip before I returned to the St Johns, south of Blue Spring Run. I looked for manatees in a spot where they often feed. None there, just great egret and great blue heron.




I guess it was to comfortable in Blue Springs Run to leave.















I stayed out side the outer buoy, the tubular barrier. Only one manatee came near the yak.











I landed, put the yak on the car, then went on a bike ride. To the end of the new trail for the first time, then the loop trail at Lake Beresford Park. For the park loop, I was expecting a ride past soccer fields and baseball diamonds. Wrong. A very nice, wooded path.






Round trip distance from Blue Springs, 10.8 miles. Back at Blue Springs, I walked out on the new fishing/tour boat pier. Two kids fishing asked me to guess what the eight inch long , narrow, rubbery looking thing in one's hand was. Worm ? "Touch it" Definitely organic. " It's a sting ray tail, I caught it" They proceeded to proudly show me the rest of their catch, but not the rest of the ray. Guess they tossed the body back.





Next, I walked the boardwalk to the Spring.





Man. I'd love to snorkel Blue Spring Run in the winter. So clear, summer rain and runoff a distant memory.

But, manatees love it to.





The exotic sailfin catfish were irritating the manatee. I took three barrel rolls before it dislodged them.

I was not irritated, but exhilarated after another wonderful day on the water, plus a 3 mile hike and 11 mile bike.

No comments: