Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, January 16, 2009

Rock Springs Run Snow Day !

Or here in Florida, Hurricane Day ! You know, an unexpected free day. Neither snow nor hurricane, but power. As in none at work. I guess an overnight low of 40 degrees overwhelmed the system. I had to stay near the phone to see if the power came back, so I could not immoderately leave for the water. So, I took down the Christmas cards, wrote a few letters, read some old magazines, until finally, at 3:00 word came that the power would not be on until tomorrow.


I was in the water at Wekiwa Springs State Park at 3:50 pm. Temperature in the upper fifties. Saw 2 kayaks, 3 canoes, all rentals from the Park, on the Wekiva on the way to Rock Springs Run





























I paddled up Run until 5:00, turning at the "3 Miles to Kings Landing Takeout" sign which is just up Run of this landmark cypress.







The hollowed out tree is not dead. New growth sprouts from the top, out of the frame.


No alligators out this cool afternoon. No deer on the way up Rock Springs Run. Would my string of seeing deer along Rock Springs Run, end at ten paddles ?














Make it eleven. One deer, then two, then three. Six in ten minutes.


I landed at 6:10, a nice 2 hour 20 minute unplanned paddle. I'll go into work tomorrow to make up some of the lost time, but as it is going to be cool again- forecast low sixties, not starting my Saturday kayak trip until the afternoon will be a good thing.

And for all of you in northern climes rolling their eyes at me calling 60 degrees "cool". I apologize, and understand. I did live in Wisconsin for 29 years.

If you want to see nothing but deer photos from every Rock Springs Run trip since October 15, 2008 (and who doesn't ?) click here. http://www.clubkayak.com/greenwave/treports.asp?trip=321

No comments: