Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rock Springs Run

I got a paddle in on Rock Springs Run this morning, Wednesday, January 7, 2009. In at 7:30, out at 10:40. Made it a few minutes past the Big Buck campsite. Saw no bucks, two deer.











Well hidden deer.


One alligator, five minutes into the paddle. Seen just after I took the picture of this anhinga.







As I lowered the camera, I noticed the gator in the water on my right. Simultaneously, it saw me, flicked its tail, and dove out of danger.






The anhinga was the last in a series of birds, tri colored heron, blue heron, and limpkin, seen in the first five minutes.





No people until the last five minutes, 3 canoes. Nice way to start the day.








A few rain drops fell as I landed. The advance warning of a cool front. High winds and rain forecast. So, instead of snorkeling Wekiwa Spring and heading to work, where the yak could sit and fill with water, I went home, showered, got the yak in the garage and made it to the job on time at 12:30.

My fourth kayak paddle of 2009. Yesterday, I counted how many times I got out last year. 135.

No comments: