Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Blue Spring Snake Creek Loop

I discovered a new bird today, Sunday, February 1st, 2009. A manatee egret. Similar to a cattle egret, only it rides the back of a sea cow instead of a land cow. Others may call it a snowy egret. Just one of a wide variety of critters seen on this trip from Blue Spring State Park, up the St Johns a short way to Snake Creek, up Snake, down the Hontoon Dead River to the first canal, back to the St. Johns, topped off with a loop around the island across from the French Avenue launch area.




I launched from what I call the "traditional" area, the spot that had been always full of rental canoes until Tropical Storm Fay's high waters moved the canoes about 100 yards up the St Johns. The River has been back to normal for months, but the rental are still in the new spot. The traditional area is nice for two reasons. (1) It's closer to the parking lot. (2) It's closer to the manatees in Blue Spring Run. I figured the Park would keep the launch at the new location because of the manatees. But there are no signs saying you can't launch or land at the traditional location. So, for the second time since the launch beach reappeared, I launched there. It may be the last.




As I was getting ready two other kaykers arrived, dragging their craft down the steps, bam ! bam ! bam ! They went out, then I. Somewhere from the shore a voice rang out. "Hey you guys, you can't launch from there" Must have been talking to the other two.


With that, I did not linger in the area between the buoys, paddling over the outer, "No Motorized Vessels" line. I watched manatees for a while, a lot in the Run, then paddled to Snake Creek. On the way, a large shape in the woods, closer investigation showed several large shapes.






Turkeys in full regalia. Five or so. A sixth flew across the River to join them. Flying turkeys aren't the most graceful birds. It's a sight to see one in the air. The next thing to catch my eye was the eye of this anhinga.






Hazel, like mine. Into Snake Creek, time to reflect.










Lots of birds in Snake Creek. Wood stork and great egret.



A better look at the egret.






Second gator of the day.






A great picture, Not the alligator, this one.







Final Snake Creek reflection.







Hontoon Dead River turtle.







Tri colored heron






Posed once, than said "see ya"








Back to the St Johns River.







Limpkin, great blue, green heron.





I got back to Blue Spring just past noon. Not as many manatees in the Run, they must have gone out to feed as the day warmed. Warmer than yesterday on Rock Springs Run, I had one one less layer, I'd guess 65-69. Knowing a prime feeding stop is the island a bit down River, I headed that way. Didn't see any manatees. Saw these redheads.







It takes a lot of grooming to get the ruffled chest look.






I did see a gator, and back in the St Johns, this cormorant trio.







I paddled back towards Blue Spring. At the point where the St Johns splits at the island, several manatees swam up River in the main channel, one veered off on the island side, where I had just entered as I made my circle. I followed the one heading to the less traveled side.








It led me to a manatee feeding area. On the mainland side. On my first trip around the island, I was distracted by the sand hill cranes on the island side. Several manatees, maybe 8. Alligators too, about 6.
















All this wildlife in an area about 50 yards long and thirty yards wide. Not to mention birds.
























Woodstork, anhinga, and great blue heron. More turkeys in the woods. And, the legendary manatee egret.



















Again, I paddled back to Blue Spring Run. The St Johns was full of manatees. I hung outside the outer buoy lime, hoping one might come in for a close up. A few came close, but like the Cardinals, not close enough.

2 comments:

Trendell said...

Going next week Dave! Once again I can only hope to see as much as you do! I really enjoy your blog, keep up the great paddling adventures! Teresa

Dave said...

Trendell, I'm sure you will see plenty.