Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Myakka River State Park

I had a great day kayaking, and more, at Myakka River State Park, Saturday, February 14, 2009. I surprised myself when I put "Myakka" in the "Search Blog" box and saw I had not been here since last March. http://davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2008/03/flat-stanley-at-myakka-river.html It is a long drive, 150 miles one way, but well worth the effort. Saw three deer (while paddling, more later on the bike), three bald eagles, three hundred alligators. Ok, not 300, but so many I lost count early in the day. 50-75 easy. Birds from glossy ibis to white pelican.



I arrived at the Park before it opened, had to wait 15 minutes. Obtained a permit to enter the Wilderness Area, south of State Highway 72. The ranger told me water levels were low, I should be ready to portage. I ended up having to get out of the yak once, but I did take apart the paddle and pole like a skier, albiet seated, on several occasions.




My put in point was the small parking area east of the Park Drive Bridge. The River was low, but that attracted more birds. Not sure what this is.




Black vulture and juvenile black crowned night heron.









Green heron.






Snowy egret.

















Great egret and gator.

















The pictures were taken in a 24 minute time span, and are just the birds I was able to photo. I was unable to capture 5 glossy ibis, and a bald eagle, among others. The gator in the first picture came later, just inside the Wilderness Area. It was the largest of the day. A bit down River, a mature black crowned night heron.














This section of the Myakka, from the 72 bridge to Lower Myakka Lake, is twisty and narrow. Some gators lie on the bank.





Others swam.





It took 1 hour 20 minutes to reach Lower Myakka Lake. The first time I paddled here, I saw rosette spoonbills in a narrow inlet/slough just east of where the River enters the Lake. So I always investigate the area. Haven't seen any spoonbills there since that first day, and today, the water level was very low so I could not go far. But far enough to see these three deer.














Click the pic. Hopefully it will blow up so you can see the deer.







Lower Myakka was. Lower. Very shallow. I made better time to the south end of the Lake than two guys in a motor boat. I kept hearing "Stop !" "Left !" and so on as they maneuvered over the shallow bottom. I arrived at Deep Hole before they did, so I got a chance to watch the alligators at this very deep sinkhole for a bit. I count eleven gators on the other side of the mud bar.





I thought of continuing down River, the Myakka narrows again after Deep Hole, but it was too shallow. Unless I went through Deep Hole. I chose to turn back. This is where I walked, after poling in. The guys in the motor boat gunned the engine, scared the gators, landed, and began to fish. Nothing left for me, so back I went. The second bald eagle of the day flew over head as I paddled north.







The Myakka River and in particular. Lower Myakka Lake is full of birds that I would expect to see on the coast, like the above black necked stilt. The Lower Lake is thirty miles upstream of Charlotte Harbor, yet the mud flats are full of the same little birds one sees on Gulf Beaches.














Another bird I have only seen in coastal areas is white pelican. Yet one was on the Lower Lake. Just one, perhaps a bit off on its migratory path.














It picked a fine day to visit, blue sky, 85 degrees. Hot for the first time in a while. I got some color. No wind early, but just as I was leaving the Lower Lake, a strong south breeze kicked up. My timing was perfect, that wind was behind me. I paddled past more alligators.




Two kayakers came downstream, glad to hear they could make it all the way to Lower Lake Myakka.



I crossed beneath the State Highway 72 bridge, leaving the Wilderness behind. Soon after, I stopped for lunch in a River front picnic area. The Saturday crowds were gathering, an event at a nearby pavilion., another gathering at a picnic table. I walked around, ate, and continued my trip. Saw a few more paddlers near, and launching at the Park Drive Bridge. They were launching right at the Bridge, on top of the sandbag looking things. Why they didn't launch from where I did is beyond me. Probably not Dave's Yak Tales readers. My spot is much better.



Am I the only one who sees the post-White House LBJ in the above snowy egret ?




In addition to the tricolred heron, more alligators, and limpkin, I saw the third bald eagle of the day. And pigs and hawks.










I told myself I was going to paddle to the dam at the Upper Lake or until I saw a rosette spoonbill. Never saw a spoonbill. Lots of other birds near the dam.





Another 10 gators, at least, on the bank and in the water. "Be careful of that alligator !" " He better be careful of me." I landed. If that woman could have seen all the alligators that I could see from kayak level, I think she may have backed away from the dam. I got out, stretched, saw kayakers, rentals from the Park, on Upper Myaka Lake, got back in and went down River.



Into the wind. Alligators hunkered down.



More pigs, raccoons and birds.
Other than two anglers in a small motor boat under the powerlines, two more on the shore nearby, I saw no people between the dam and the Park Drive Bridge. I complemented the boaters on their navigation skills. I landed about 3:40, 7 plus hours,with two breaks, on the Myakka River. The day was not finished.



Yak on, bike off car. Pedal to the main concession area. Deer are often seen just off the road. I saw two, one on each side of the road. Got a photo of the first.





The new concession building, which was under construction last March, is now open. Since Wednesday, Feb. 11. I went to the old building for my gator stew. They need a sign saying food is in the new building. But, I did get the chance to hear the kayak and canoe rental guy tell a woman it was too shallow to go past the dam. I waited until the customer left, and told him I had paddled well past the dam, but understood why he would not want renters to make the attempt. I then went to the big beautiful new building and ate what I had been looking at all day.




There is one problem with the new building.






The sign states "No Storage By Order of the Fire Marshal" I had assumed the rental canoes and kayaks would be kept here, instead of out in the open. Speaking to the concessionaire again, he had figured the same. I wonder if hydrants are in the area or what. Someone failed to plan. But,it is a good thing the place was planned, budgeted, and built before the recession.



Back on the bike, I rode to the pig, er, birdwalk.














Just one distant bird. Back on the bike, the way I came. Upper Myakka on the right, woods and more deer to my left.





This deer was part of a small herd of 5-6. Next stop, the canopy walkway. Noise in the underbrush on the trail leading to the walkway. Armadillo ? No, a dozen piglets.

My timing was perfect. A boy scout troop walked away from the tower as I approached. Up the short tower I climbed. Can I take credit for this?



Across the walkway among the treetops.

Up the tower for a panoramic view of the Myakka River.

Back on the ground. Lots of light comes through the walkway way up there. I think I know why they built it here, that's a heckuva oak.








A couple was at the top when I arrived, the woman said she saw "a black panther" I said pigs are black,she said, she knew that,but this had a long tail. There are panthers in Florida, not black. I have read Myakka is two small to support them or bears. But, there is some unusual large animal in the Park. When I returned my Wilderness Permit, a ranger said the other night she saw what a large animal. She thought coyote. I told her about the"panther" thewoman thought she saw. All I know is I have another reason to return to Myakka, I've never seen a coyote.

To my loyal readers, after three days, I finally finished this Tale. I hope it dosen't take as long to read.

No comments: