Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hillsborough River






I continued an Easter tradition, kayaking the Hillsborough for the fourth consecutive year. I also broke a tradition, by posting two photos at the start of a Tale. For me, the Hillsborough River is known for two things. Lots of alligators and the best place to see rosette spoonbills up close. So, I am opening this Tale with a double dose of both (and a great blue heron) The above photos were taken at the end of the day, but I saw alligators all day, up and down the River. The spoonbills were present at the start and end of the paddle. I saw the first two spoonbills before I even got in the water. I launched at Trout Creek Park, paddled across the Hillsborough River, and took this photo at 10:24 am.












First alligator, 10:32.







A couple in a canoe launched just before I did. I passed them, never saw them again. Perhaps they decided to turn back as the River is very shallow near Natures Classroom. I had to take apart my paddle and push my way through the shallows. Good feeding for a wood stork, another spoonbill, a blue heron with a mottled duck.










More birds on the way to Morris Bridge Park. Great blue heron,








Black crowned night heron, and great egret.












I think I saw more alligators than other paddle craft, five, in the four miles to Morris Bridge.







Same gator, close up.









Two more.













I paddled past Morris Bridge. It is the end of the line for most renters coming downstream, and get a bit crowded. Speaking of renters, Mike and Phylis, did Mario and Eddie paddle the Hillsborough ? I stopped a bit upstream at the overlook at the end of a bike/hike trail. Stretched my legs, had a couple cookies and an apple, and was on my way.




Wing drying anhinga always makes for a good photo.











I encountered folks in Canoe Escape rental canoes coming downstream, and one flotilla of kayakers. Not so many to make it crowded, and there were gaps between groups. I arrived at Sargeant Park, the spot from which the downstream paddlers came, passed it, going up River a few minutes until a log blocked passage. On the Hillsborough up stream of Sargeant Park, most trees remain where they fall. Downstream, they are cut away. I came back to Sargeant Park, landed, walked on the boardwalk overlooking the confluence of the Hillsborough and the Flint River, sat down, had a sandwich and watched the anglers. Back to the landing, I saw the last rental bus of the day unloading. So, I took a stroll in the woods, letting the group get down River.





That gave me a mostly human free downstream paddle.













I did see a few people, kayak and canoe anglers who had launched from Sargeant Park.



Saw a pig on the right bank, no picture. Heard it to. "Oink" is an apt description of the sound.








Another sign of low water level is the River rushing over the limestone bottom creating mini rapids in a couple spots.








I passed Morris Bridge Park, where people fished from the bank and dock, as families enjoyed Easter picnics. A couple in a rental canoe landed as I continued on. I saw no more people until I was almost back to Trout Creek Park, 4 miles away.


A noise on the bank. Something moving across the forest floor. Another rooting hog? No.






Pigs, turkeys, lots of good eatin' for gators.




Another, or perhaps the same, black crowned night heron seen in the morning. One of two.




Scenic Hillsborough River. As I drifted down river, I heard "kee kee kee" Louder than a hawk, different from an osprey's cry. I looked up, as a juvenile bald eagle, white coming in, took off from a pine branch. I turned about, paddled up River, hoping it would land so I could get a picture. I did not. Of the eagle.










Four alligators, pictures taken from 5:01 to 5:19. A fifth photo is not Yak Tales worthy.














The River gets wider, and shallower as it passes Nature's Classroom, where Hillsborough County School kids get an eyeful of wildlife.



















In the morning, I had pushed my way past Nature's Classroom. Now, on the way downriver, I picked the second of two paths through the vegetation and made it without scrapping bottom. I came to an island and decided to go on the narrow side. Good choice.











I can only download 5 photos at a time, here are the last three nature shots of the day.







The last wildlife photo was the pair of alliagators at the top of the Tale. I did not see the one in the foreground, it must have surfaced just as I snapped the picture. I thought the splash was a big one for one gator as the one on the bank dove into the River. Perhaps they were the same two some kids were yelling about as I loaded the yak on the car. I heard a loud splash, then the kids said, "Two gators are fighting!" Or maybe not. It's mating season.


I tested out a new set of wheels. Not the car, a kayak cart.


The short, sandy slope at Trout Creek Park was a good place to see how it worked. Very well. Looks like I'll be able to use on the long sandy hill at Wekiwa Springs State Park, the reaon I bought the thing. With the wheels off, it fits in the hatch. I plan to padddle Rock Springs Run Wedensday morning. I'll report on how the cart handles the hill.

No comments: