Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hontoon Island Loop

Today's trip, Sunday, April 5, 2009, took me to Blue Spring State Park, down the St Johns River, past Hontoon Island State Park, up the Hontoon Dead River, up Snake Creek, down the St Johns, back to Blue Springs. The new (used) kayak is a bald eagle magnet. Fourth time out, fourth time seeing a bald eagle. Did not get a picture. I do have underwater pics for the first time since my last Blue Springs visit on March 7.









































Bass, sunfish, gar and mullet in Blue Spring Run. I swam before paddling to beat the crowds. At that hour, only scuba divers are in the Spring. The bubbles are from divers, not the Spring.
























Like my last visit, I had to walk part of the way up the Run from the entry point to the Spring. Low water level makes the flow stronger. Unlike last time, I was able to drift past the entry deck to the swim area dock. Manatee season is over. But, the forecast for Tuesday night has a low of 40. I'm sure some manatees will return. I may too, I think I'm scheduled to start work at 12:30 Wednesday.


















I got the yak in the St Johns about 10:15. Paddled north, down the St Johns. Did the usual circle of the island across from the French Avenue launch. For a moment I thought I saw two deer.














Until one of the sand hill cranes raised its head.
























Two herons, tri colored and great, and a gator from the paddle down the St Johns.






























An hour paddling brought me within sight of Lake Beresford. Several osprey circled overhead. Based on prior experience, I watched, looking to see if any eagles were with them. None were. A bald eagle was perched on a tree. Big and regal. I aimed the camera. Bad focus. I snapped. Missed. Now I had focus. No eagle. It flew off.







Paddled past the Hontoon Island State Park dock, where the Bold Eagle out of Green Bay is still docked, Packer flag flying. Into the Hontoon Dead River. Now headed south. "Dead" means no current. There is plenty of life on the HDR.





















Perhaps the family of the late fish in the osprey's talons think"Dead River" is apt.







A fellow kayaker emailed me that she paddled Snake Creek Thursday and, "Snake Creek is open, a few weeds to push through but mostly open." It still is open, and still requires pushing through weeds in two spots. Much easier than this pic make it appear. Past the initial plants, its
surface algae.







I took a break before I reached the above spot. A short paddle up Snake Creek is an area of high ground. Best place to stop doing the loop since the spot on the HDR is now off limits. There is a "No Trespassing" sign, so, be careful and courteous if you stop. I've never seen anyone on the land here.






Two shots of the same blue heron.








Two black crowned night herons would perch for a moment, fly away, perch, fly away....















As usual, I was the only person on Snake Creek. Its to shallow and weedy for motor boats. As I think about the day, I didn't see any paddlers all day until I came out of Snake Creek. Now, at 2 PM, plenty of kayaks and canoes were out and about. Saw another osprey enjoying its catch.









Back at Blue Spring, I went into the lagoon south of the Run, then to the island, looking for manatees and anything else I could see. The sand hill cranes were still at the island, no manatees.




Tri colored heron and limpkin.








I was able to paddle up Blue Springs Run for the first time since last fall. No boats allowed during manatee season. I did not go all the way- save the humans.



Final picture. Looking out of Blue Spring Run into the St Johns River. The dark waters of the St Johns are in the Run to the first overlook. Which surprises me, as the River is low. Makes me think the flow from the Spring is reduced. Time to pass http://audubonaction.org/florida/notice-description.tcl?newsletter_id=17123056 legislation to protect Florida's Springs.

No comments: