Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Rainbow River

I returned to the Rainbow River today, Saturday, April 11, 2009, for the first time since November. As I did then, I launched from the County Road 484 Bridge in Dunellon, the "tube takeout". My car was the only one in the dirt lot as I pushed off at 8:20. Two hours later, I landed at Rainbow Springs State Park. Saw two otters early in the paddle. The only two of the day. Here is the upriver bird gallery.













Great egret, anhinga, green heron, blue heron, and,





wood ducks.





People wise, just two fishing boats until I got to K.P. Hole Park. The Marion County Park, about a mile and a half downstream of the State Park, is where tubers and paddlers put in for a downstream float. Some kayakers will go upstream to visit Rainbow Springs State Park. Three had, as my yak was the fourth tide up at the landing. I grabbed the snorkel gear and headed for the swim area.









A few kids jumping off the deck, other than that, just sunfish, bluegills, Dave, and








bass.





The view from my table as I ate my ham and cheese.








Another look.














Took a walk through the gardens and waterfalls.

























Coming to a screen saver near you.
























Back in the kayak, downstream, out of the Park waters, where no swimming, motors, or fishing is allowed. Looked for a spot to get out of the yak. Can't do it here, wood duck family.


























Next try, too mucky, as I stepped in ankle deep water which soon became knee deep. Eventually I found a spot with a hard bottom, no ducks (or gators), got out of the yak, put on the mask, snorkel and flippers, camera in one hand, tow rope in the other, and drifted down the Rainbow.
























Tubers also drifted, or in this case, hand paddled.




















The Rainbow is a fantastic snorkeling River.














Countless springs percolate from the river floor.







I got back in the kayak at the K.P. Hole Ramp. Paddled 90 minutes or so back to the 484 Bridge. I was a bit surprised at the number of people tubing on an overcast day. I guess it is a holiday weekend. The Rainbow is broad enough to accommodate tubers, paddlers, and slow moving motor boats- idle speed only.


A cormorant to end the Tale.



2 comments:

Christina said...

Hey Dave!

We were just on Rainbow River this Friday...but in our tubes. Saw a gator up on the sidelines. It freaked a few people out in our group.

We've paddled the river and it's one of our favorites.

Dave said...

If alligators keep the crowds down, that's ok with me. ;)