Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Winter Park Chain

Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden, Lake Osceola. I launched from Fort Maitland Park, in Maitland, just south of the intersection of 17/92 and Maitland Aveune, on Lake Maitland, at 9:00 am. South across the Lake to Kraft Azlaea Gardens to see it the wood ducks I saw two weeks ago were on the dock. No. Replaced by anglers. But the cypress trees echoed with bird sounds. I only saw one great egret, but there had to be many more, hidden in the trees. Perhaps I could not see what was making the racket as it was chicks in well concealed nests.

I've just found out I've reached 1GB of storage for Dave's Yak Tales. Which is the Blogger limit. That means I can't post more photos. I need to see what I can do. I do not want to spend 20 bucks a year to get more space.

Back to the Tale. Followed a canoeing couple through the Venetian Canal. I don't think
the knew I was there. Across Lake Osceola to the Polasek, then the Fern Canal to Lake Virginia. As I paddled to the Genius Canal, a young bald eagle flew overhead. Or was it an osprey ? Perhaps it would land on a tree in Lake Mizell. But, the Canal was blocked by floating yellow barriers. The kind used when waterways- the Wekiva River , for example are being treated to remove unwanted weeds like hydrilla. A general web search and a search of the City of Winter Park website doesn't provide an answer to why Lake Mizell is blocked.

But, it turned out for the best. I paddled along the western edge of Lake Virginia. This part of the Lake has very a little bit of undeveloped shore, and even the mansions are set back behind natural shore. I heard peacocks, saw an otter. Turned around, and keeeeee, the juvenile bald eagle flew overhead.

I paddled back to the launch, landing at 11:00. Saw blue herons, great blue herons, ibis, anhingas, cormorants, belted kingfishers, gulls, mallards, coots, moorhens, wood ducks and a wood stork.

4-30-09. I deiced to spend the $20.00, so here are more photos.

























Otter.

























2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey dave! can you delete some older pics or reduce the size of the older pics? ~c

Dave said...

Carrie, thanks the for the tip. And for reading. But, as I told someone yesterday, that would be like deciding which child to leave out. Not to mention the time involved. So, the billionaires at google have another 20 bucks. I decided to pay for more space.