Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Rock Springs Run

I took advantage of working 12:30 to 9 Wednesday, May 6, 2009 by going to Wekiwa Springs State Park and paddling the Wekiva River and Rock Springs Run. In the water just after 8. Saw a great blue heron, green heron, black crowned night heron, turtles, moorhen, wood ducks, swallowtail kites, a wood stork, and an alligator. All in the first five minutes on the water.

Great blue heron

Green heron,


Out of the lagoon, down the Wekiva for 15 minutes to Rock Springs Run. Black crowned night heron.




Limpkin, Rock Springs Run.



The only photo I took. Not that there was weren't any critters. Saw great blue herons, ibis, an otter, a couple alligators, but taking photos is tough when paddling upstream. Had I been looking at the bank instead of checking the time, I may have got an alligator pic. Reached in my pocket, pulled out the bike odometer (that's my watch) saw the time, then saw the gator slide into the water next to me.



As usual early on a weekday, no one on the water. Two guys camping at Indian Mound. Five minutes beyond the primitive campsite, a deer darted through the foliage on the left bank. Just before I had to turn around, which I did just past 9:30.





Down Run photos. Ibis.



Turtle.








10:39, in the distance, first paddlers other than me. Too bad the three otters went under.




The alligator that often is on this log was somewhere else.



I did see a few little ones, which I assume are the progeny of the big one.




I landed about eleven, wheeled the yak up the hill, put it on the car, then a refreshing snorkel in Wekiwa Spring.




No comments: