Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Haulover Canal

Space Shuttle Endeavor was scheduled to lift off at 7:17 am Saturday, June 13, 2009. I checked the NASA website before turning in Friday, the launch was "go". I decided if I woke up in time to make it, I'd go as well. I woke, at 5:07. Perfect. But for one thing. On my way to Haulover Canal, I heard on the 6 am NPR News update that the launch had been postponed. Oh well, I'd have an early start to see dolphins, manatees and whatnot.





The time stamp on my first photo, taken on the backside of Mullet Head Island, is 7:14. Mullet Head is in the Indian River, about a mile paddle from the launch. Space Shuttle launch viewing is at the Mosquito Lagoon end of the Canal, also a mile paddle. In other words, had the lift off been timely, I would have seen it. This is the second photo, reddish egrets and roesette spoonbills. Not too rosey. Not sure if its the light,or camera. Probably the photographer.




Nesting pelicans. I suppose the ball of white fluff is a chick.

Cormorants.


I have a feeling I was not the only one who was unaware of the launch scrub, as there were a lot of kayakers out. Not all there for the launch. I mentioned it to one man with his son as we were putting in, and he said, "oh, it was today?"


There was a good wind on the River, seemed at least a moderate chop, not the forecast light chop. As I neared the Canal, another guy fishing with his son asked if I saw "a big pod of dolphins". I had not. Must have passed by when I was on the west side of Mullet Head. I paddled to the alternate channel to the south of the Canal, where wind was no longer an issue.




No dolphins in "Dolphin Cove". At least one manatee in Bairs Cove.





A couple more manatees were at the Overlook on the north side of the Canal, past the drawbridge. I looked east, towards the Lagoon, and saw a, no, three, dolphins. Moving fast. Two kayakers trying to keep up had no chance. I paddled through the Canal, veering off into the alternate channel on the north near the Mosquito Lagoon. Usually, I continue north, but today, I headed south, towards the distant launch towers. The early morning wind subsided, water flat.

























The launch pads are much easier to see when illuminated by thousands of gallons of rocket fuel.





















The bank of the Lagoon has old pier pilings, canals, seawalls and unknown ruins. From the 1950's. I presume. I wonder how much the owners got when NASA bought them out.






















Back to, and north of Haulover Canal. Not far, just around the first island, into the protected area, away from the power boats now traversing the Canal. Only for a while, as the Canl has to be entered to get from Lagoon to River. Again, I saw a few manatees at the Overlook. A large group was in Bairs Cove. Kayakers. I kept going. No dolphins in "Dolphin Cove" I paddled back into the Indian River, through the alternate, no boat cut, and explored the canals to the south. My secret manatee spot. None in the canal, but saw one in the River. And great egrets, snowy egrets, reddish egrets and great blue herons.


















































































I made my way south, inside a long, low, island, then back on the other side. Saw a ray. Light color, about two feet long, 18 inches wide. Bigger than the small brown ones that are often spotted. Back to Haulover via the alternate channel, which joins the Canal at "Dolphin Cove" On this, my third time through, it lived up to the name I have given it.






















































One dolphin, feeding.



















Bairs Cove is a only a 30, 40 yards from "Dolphin Cove".


















One power boat was at the Cove entrance, motor off, a woman taking pictures of manatees. When they left, I had to Cove to myself. Which is rare, as a boat ramp gets lots of use.














































































I hung out with at the sea elephants for forty minutes.
















A group of three kayakers came in and out, then another pair, but for most of the time it was the manatees and I.






















































And a dolphin, and the Coast Guard. The campers are the Coast Guard's temporary barracks for Shuttle duty. I asked one Coastie if they stay all day launch or not. He responded they will still until Wednesday, the potential next launch date. Seems rather inefficient to keep them there, running the generators and burning diesel, when home port at Port Caneveral is a few miles away.


























A tour group came, that was time fo rme to go. Watched a dolphin in "Dolphin Cove", until the group reached there as well. I landed about 12:15. Nice to get in five hours on the water before noon thirty.










It was vey warm, 90's I'm sure. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to Black Point Wildlife Drive. My decesion was made for me, as the road to the drive was closed. For the launch, I suppose. Later, I saw the other end of the road to Wild Drive was open. Meanwhile, the detour took me past the Oak and Palm Hammock Trails. "Hammock" means "shady place". So I stopped and walked the 2 mile Palm Hamock Trail.









The Trail was muddy in spots, underwater, abut 1/2 inch in one section. I 'm glad I had bug spray. Saw wild pigs. A big balck one, wwith some young 'uns right on the trail. I raised the camera, and "replace battery" Too many manatee pics. I replaced the battery, but they ran off. I saw more porkers, but too deep in the hammock for a photo.

The trail crosses these tracks. Concerte ties are better than wood in the heat, humdity and bugs of Florida.


A sign at the trail head describes the history of the area. I wonder if anyone in Wisconsin Village ever closed Wolski's.

I stopped at Dixie Crossroads for lunch. Shrimp and mullett basket. I choose shrimp soup as the side. I polished off one boat of corn fritters, the second is in the photo.

No comments: