Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Canaveral National Seashore-Mosquito Lagoon

No better place to spend the Nation's Birthday than at a National Seashore. I'm not sure if I've posted a three dolphin photo before. If I have, it was from Mosquito Lagoon. These were part of a pod of eight. Good day for manatees too.










I launched at 8:30, the fourth vehicle in Lot 7. Paddled north, towards, and past Turtle Mound.
Approaching the power boat ramp, I crossed the Lagoon, to the Shipyard Island Trail entrance.


Paused to watch a dolphin. Saw a manatee, briefly.
The paddling trail goes through canals cut through Shipyard Island. It is marked, but there are many intersections, and it is easy, at least for me, to go the wrong way. Today was the first time in a long while I've paddled the complete trail. Maps are available at the Visitor Center.

No matter how often I see cacti next to mangroves, I think it a bit odd.























Green heron, ruffled.


Unruffled.
Great Egret.

Exiting the paddling trail, back into the Lagoon, I continued north. Out of the National Seashore, as you can see by the houses in the background.
















This dolphin was just south of a long island on the east side of Mosquito Lagoon. The inner waterway is a Manatee Zone. Great blue heron on the island.

Home on the east bank. I like the style.
My destination, the cove at Bethune Park. Often frequented by manatees. Not today. But, just as I saw a dolphin on the south side of the island, here was one at the north end. An old friend.

I first saw this split dorsal dolphin in May, 2003, from the shore. I coined the "Florida Trifecta" that day. This day, I paddled back south. Witnessed criminal activity.

People with a hose, giving water to manatees under the dock.











Must be renters. I would like to think people who live on the Lagoon would know better.


I'll let the Save the Manatee Club explain the obvious:

"Resist the urge to feed manatees or give them water. Not everyone loves manatees and feeding them or giving them water could encourage them to swim to people who might harm them. Their natural feeding patterns may also be altered by encouraging them to "hang around" waiting for food or water. When hand-fed lettuce or water from a hose is no longer available, manatees may not know where to find or identify natural, reliable sources of food."

Speaking of reliable food sources, Mosquito Lagoon certainly was for thousands of years, as evidenced by Turtle Mound, the towering Timucuan trash heap. My reliable cooler held a sandwich, nectarine, and cookies. I landed, lunched, and leisurely walked to the top.


























A manatee was just off shore as I ate, and was still there when I got back in the yak. I watched it surface a couple times, then I continued south. Twenty minutes later, I saw a wake. Not made by a boat. Dolphin on the prowl. Then another, and another, and another, until I counted eight. All that, and I have 2 photos. The other is the trio above.

Saw another manatee, in deep water off the Eldora pier. Lots of osprey.
I think, in fact I know, Mosquito Lagoon is prime bald eagle territory. Yet, I rarely see any. This is a great site for bald eagle info. http://myfwc.com/eagle/eaglenests/nestlocator.aspx#search

I was in Volusia County. The nests along the St Johns River on the west. I've seen lots of eagles on that River and it spring fed tributaries, I'd say no more than three on the coast.



Another great blue.
I went as far as two small coves, north of Castle Windy, where I've found manatees in the past. I still did not have a good manatee photo, despite seeing several. No manatees in the coves.




Eldora.


Turtle Mound, from Eldora. I saw it and thought, boy, that's far away.
Just south of the Eldora dock are a several sets of old wooden pier pilings. I've seen manatees here before. And today. Two.

I observed, drifting. They observed me, at close range.





Not passive observation, but pushing me along. They were about to push me into a pier, so I paddled away. They followed, each taking turns going under the yak. One gently rising, giving me a bit of a ride. I succumbed to temptation, put my hand over the side, and briefly, touched one. Perhaps other paddlers have done more, which may be why they were so interested in me. Although, I'd like to think its my natural charisma.

I landed at 2 PM. One more day in the three day weekend. Thinking Rock Springs Run or the Econ

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,
We are new to kayaking and have really enoyed and used your trips as a guide for places to go. The books are good but your comments are so helpful. We loved Lake Norris, saw 4 people in 4 hours, and plan to go back soon while the water levels in Blackwater Creek are still up. Can you tell us the best place now to see manatee, I read your note from Mosquito Lagoon, we went there but did not see any and maybe you can tell us the best places to launch and paddle. Thanks. Mary K

Dave said...

Anon- I launch at the designated site in Parking Lot 7, off Eldora Road. There is no "best place" to see manatees. I've seen them along the shore, in the middle of the channel, north to Bethune Park and south to Castle Windy. Having said that, pay careful attention near docks. That paid off for me July 4-after being in the water 3.5 hours.

Just paddle, enjoy the day, scan the surface constantly and listen for the exhale when they surface. When you see them, and you will if you spend any time on the water, make sure to mind your manatee manners.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!
Mary K

Anonymous said...

We took your advice Sunday and were rewarded with both dolphin and mantee sightings. Aren't we lucky to live here!
Mary

Dave said...

Nice to know my advice was helpful. We are fortunate to live in close proximity to so much spectacular wildlife. I got a 2 hour paddle in on the Wekiva River and Rock Springs Run today,July 21.Deer, alligators and a variety of herons.