Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Econlockhatchee River

Alligators and bald eagles. Sunday, July 25, 2009.




Up and back from Snow Hill to the bank on the left where the River splits. Just over two hours, including a detour into "Lake Econ"

Finished just as a thunderstorm passed through. "Lake Econ" is a low lying area, on the right as you paddle upstream, downstream of the Flagler Trail bridge. Look for a gap in the bank. When the water is high, this grassy basin fills with water. Speaking of the Flagler bridge, unlike last time, I was able to go under it.


The flying eagle was seen shortly before I landed. Saw another, on the upstream paddle, at a nest deep in the forest. I have several photos of tree trunks and branches as I tried to time my drifting kayak to gaps in the palms and pines to photo the eagle. Without success. This is not where the eagle was, but gives an idea of the dense forest.


Just one bird photo in addition to the eagle, an immature blue heron. There were osprey and great blue herons along the River. Perhaps 8 other boats, all canoes and kayaks. An equal number of alligators. A nice paddle, well timed.

Thunder rumbled behind be as I made the downstream paddle, towards blue sky, Eventually, the entire sky grew dark, just as I landed. I was half way getting the yak on the car when the storm hit. Buckets of rain, numerous lightning bolts. In the car, 10 minutes, and 2 miles away, it was over.

No comments: