Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Rock Springs Run


I got a paddle in on the Wekiva River and Rock Springs Run this morning, Wednesday, July 8, 2009. A deer browsed as I drove to the parking lot.











I was in the water a smidge past 7:30. Little wood ducks are growing fast.
Great blue heron

Yellow crowned night heron. I did not notice the lichens until I downloaded the photo.
Pictures so far were along the Wekiva, here is a Rock Springs Run gallery.






































































I paddle two curves on the Run past Big Buck camp. The triclored heron was my turn around point, the limpkin the first down Run photo. Got it on the way up too, but this picture is better.











Began the paddle back at ten past nine.











Passing Otter Camp. Somewhere in this vicinity, a canoer approached. Who could be out this early? I should have known. J.B., a frequent early morning RSR paddler, and a friend.




















Final Rock Springs Run photos.

















I saw a few more paddlers, a total of seven, including me. Three less then the number of alligators I saw.





Most of the gators were the smaller ones. But they are getting bigger. The two on the log are in the same area of the Wekiva, just outside the lagoon, where, I was seeing itty bitty ones half covered in algae and mud in the spring. (season, not aquifer outlet).










The deer on the way in was the only one I saw. But, as I reflect, along with a green heron, it was a nice 3 hours 10 minutes on the water.


Topped off by a few minutes in the water to cool off before going to work. A substantial crowd at the Spring at 11:00 am. Summer vacation is a nice thing to have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been up that run once. Didn't make it to the end, though. Going to have to try it another time.