Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, July 3, 2009

Weeki Wachee River

Friday, July 3, 2009, I started Independence Day weekend with a visit to the Weeki Wachee River. The kayak very secure on the new roof rack. Strapped to front and back cross bars and tied down bow and stern. Got tested hitting the brakes hard at a yellow light about to turn red. In the past, I may have gone through the ripe yellow, as sudden stops made the yak shift considerably on the old foam block and towel set up. This morning, no noticeable movement.

I arrived at Rogers Park early enough to get in free, and was in the water before 7, paddling up the Weeki Wachee River.





Perfect for wildlife viewing.
















One of two manatees I saw on the upstream paddle.













This snapping turtle is so large, I thought it was an alligator at first.















The snapper was larger then the one alligator I did see. Just the second time I've seen a gator on the Weeki Wachee.














This pic would really be good but for the lens smudge.

I did get the light streaming through the trees.

























Spider webs were everywhere. Some spanning the River. I've never seen so many, anywhere. I aimed the camera at one, but not seeing it in the view finder, thought I'd capture it, or another , on the way back. Spider webs are temporary, transitory things. I saw none on the downstream paddle.













The greatest bird concentration is on the upper part of the Weeki Wachee, just before the Spring area.

























Saw a couple otters in this area.







An armada of canoes and kayaks was lined up at the launch site at Weeki Wachee State Park. I thought I could sneak past the "No Vessels Beyond This Point" sign, as it was not yet 9:15 am, but a ranger was working nearby on a tour boat, so I turned around.















Past the launch area, where a large group was going out. I got out in front of them, the first downstream group of the day. This meant I continued to share the water with wildlife, not people.
























About 10:15, I saw the first people on the River in over three hours. After that, it got busy. Its a holiday, after all.












I did not make my usual stops to snorkel and have lunch. Opting to keep going, taking advantage of the early start. Saw three more manatees.







I returned to Rogers Park around 11:30, had lunch, then headed back out. To the creek linking the Weeki Wachee and Mud Rivers.




Mud River.

Gulf of Mexico.

Bayport Pier.
I was looking for dolphins, a bald eagle, maybe more manatees, but saw only one duck on the Rogers to Bayport, and back, up the Weeki Wachee this time. Landed a tad before two, a nice seven hour day on the water.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Dave,

Because of the fact that I am a bit of a turtle freak, I always enjoy your turtle pictures.

And your picture of 'the big one' really is awesome. Normally, when you talk of snappers in your stories, your story is accompanied by pictures of softshell turtles; turtles with long snouts and soft shells. Todays picture is not a soft shell though, and I also doubt if it is a (alligator) snapping turtle. They normally have much bigger heads.

What is it then? I do not know. The shell has some resemblance with a leatherback sea turtle.....

Kind regards,

A3