Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Lake Katherine, Day Two

I arose early on day 2 of my Wisconsin vacation, ready to explore Lake Katherine in brother Pete's kayak. I wanted to check out the canal linking Lake Katherine and Lake Tomahawk. Or, rather, the cut where the canal used to be. Property owners on Lake Katherine chose to lower the level of the lake, making the canal impassable. I had seen the Lake Tomahawk end while fishing the day before, I wanted to investigate the Lake Kathrine end. The canal is at the northeast end of Lake Katherine. Saw a couple eagles, the next two pics are the same raptor.




















































I located the canal about 7:45 am.

























I landed, then walked about half way to Lake Tomahawk.























The ditch was muddy, but staying on the edge, it seemed like I could portage it. But not today. I walked back to Pete's yak on the Lake Katherine shore.
Took some more pics of the same eagle as before, below, and the first photo.






















The canal is in a small bay. I paddled out, back into the main body of the Lake.





















Where more eagles perched and soared.



















US Highway 51 crosses Lake Katherine, a small bay is on the southwest side of the bridge.
No eagles in the small bay. Heard, then saw, a belted kingfisher as I came under the highway. Hard to photo those fast fliers. Bald eagles are much easier to capture.
































Our "home" was next to a public boat ramp.
Which could lead to crowds, and noise. Neither were a problem. The loudest noise was that made my my niece and nephews on at the playground. I landed about 9:45, having been out 2 1/2 to 3 hours.















I landed as I saw Pete on the dock, and knew he had to leave. Arrangements were made to leave his yak at the "cottage" We then drove to his place for a last boat ride before he had to take it out and drive back to Oconomowoc. Dumb Dave forgot the camera. Lots of bald eagles. And a visit to Little Lake Tomahawk, site of many family vacations.















Back to the main family compound, sister Monica and I took a walk on the Bearskin trail. The 18 mile long, crushed red surface hiking and biking trail is about a half mile from where we were. We walked north, from just south of mile marker 13, to mile 14. With a brief detour to visit a cemetery.




































Birch trees aren't found in Florida. Like many bike trails, this is an old rail line. Used to take the pines out of the forest.











The railroad was built by the Yawkey-Bissel Lumber Co. I, and the rest of my sports minded family wondered, is this the same Yawkey that owned the Red Sox for years? I did a search. The answer is no, but they are related.











The land side view of the public boat ramp.











Monica returns to the cabin.

I headed down to the Lake, and in the yak for a short pre-dinner paddle and eagle watch.













Dinner was with our old friends the Gardners, at their Bird Lake nest.


















My lifelong friend, Tom, wasn't there. He was off hiking with another group of Gardners in the Porcupine Mountains. When you are the one boy of 7 children, there are a lot of nieces and nephews who want to see their Uncle Tom. It was great how the grandkids of John and Del and Tom and Eileen hit it off. Just as their parents and grandparents before them.


Last photo of the day. The moon, and its reflection, from the dock on Lake Katherine.

No comments: