Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Lake Katherine

I just returned from 5 to short days in beautiful Oneida County, Wisconsin with a few family members. My family spent a week or two on Little Lake Tomahawk perhaps 10 summers between 1967 and 1985. This time, we stayed in a beautiful three level home on Lake Katherine, in Hazelhurst. I flew in to Milwaukee, Tuesday night, August 4, 2009, spent the night at my Mom's (who was already Up North) then drove the 250 plus miles early Wednesday, arriving before noon. I wanted to arrive early because I knew Eileen, Meagan, and Jackie were leaving. I was able to see them before they did. Here is the is the first pic of my mini-vacation, view from the end of the dock.

















Brother-in-law Larry and I went out for a canoe paddle, checking out the fishing hot spots as identified by a local 11 year old.



















Larry, brother Pat, and I, went with brother Pete to his rental cottage at, and on, the Narrows, the link between Lakes Minocqua and Tomahawk for a fishing expedition in Pete's 30 hph boat. Here is the first of many bald eagle photos I'll be posting over the next several days.















Future eagle photos will be much better. This was a fishing trip, with the traditional first, most, and biggest fish wagers.

























I think Pete won them all. On second thought, Larry did have the most variety, small mouth bass above, and perch and sunfish.










Or is that Perte's jacket? We fished several spots on Lake Tomahawk. I must report, I caught nothing. My excuse, I was concentrating on memorializing the outing. (Don't think my brothers will buy that).



























When I was a kid, I never saw Canadian geese, now they are all over Wisconsin.





Lake Tomahawk is big, and when the wind picks up, can get rough. We seemed to be the only boat on the Lake. We motored east, a westbound boat went by, a young red-head at the wheel. That's my brothers and I thirty-five years ago, I thought. Then Pat said, "Hey, that's E. Gardner" Not at the helm, that was her nephew, Eli. The Gardners and Cannons grew up together, both families spending many summers on Little Lake Tomahawk. Both families are passing those memories on to a new generation. And here we are, both out on Lake Tomahawk.





Back to Lake Katherine, I took Pete's kayak out (he's a multi- vessel guy, power , paddle, sail) for a sunset paddle.




Here is a view of the house from the water.


And, after I landed, and after dinner, Lake Katherine, from the house.
Aidan, Jack and Anna wait for Grammy to finish dinner and continue the card game.

Moon rise on Lake Katherine. Nice way to end my first, partial, day,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Dave! from Monica