Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Weeki Wachee River

Kayaked the Weeki Wachee River today, Saturday, August 29, 2009. Put in from Rogers Park at 7:45. Up River just over 2 hours to the "No Vessels Beyond This Point" sign. Passed two guys fishing at Hospital Hole, a jet skier slowly coming down stream, and that was it for the first hour. First paddler was a guy who said he had got an early start up River. Must be a local, as I was the only car parked near the kayak launch at Rogers Park. After that, paddlers who had put in up stream began to come down the River. Not a great day for wildlife, here are the upstream photos.









I did not see any great egrets or great blue herons. Or deer. Here are a couple mottled ducks. Bottoms up.
There is an island in the Weeki Wachee, just downstream of the upstream launch at Weeki Wachee State Park. On my return paddle, I was going to take the right side to pass kayakers on the right. But, when the lead paddler raised his arm to indicate to his lagging buddies he saw something, I headed to the right of the island. "A mother and baby!" Manatees.
Lots of paddlers were on their way, so no good photos. I took advantage of the manatees occupying the crowd, making my way down River, ahead of the masses. No wildlife pics, but the lead photo is from the downstream trip.

As morning turned to afternoon, more and more people were on the River. Lots of kayakers coming upstream. It appears things are good for the rental business across from Rogers Park. Thanks to my early start, I had the Weeki Wachee to my self for most of the am.

As I neared Hospital Hole, a boater told me to look for a "Big manatee". I got to the sink hole, a family was swimming, anther boater came in to anchor. I floated by, did not see the manatee. On to the now bustling Rogers Park. I landed around noon, had lunch, then headed back out.

My usual side channel, under the bridge, to the creek to Mud River paddle. Down the Mud to the Weeki Wachee, almost to the Bayport Pier. Into a bay on the north side of the River, then back upstream Landed about 2:00. One pic from tjhis part of the day. Another blue heron. I think the wildlife highlight of the day(besides the manatees) were six wild hogs on the side of State Highway 50 on the drive in.

Speaking of Highway 50 and hogs, I stopped at the Deep South Family Bar-B-Que, on the way home. A place I have passed many times. Had an tasty pulled pork sandwich. $4.95 with three dill pickle slices and a bag of Lays. $1.75 for a Bud. The only beer. No meal photos, as I had so few pics I had no reason to bring the camera in to the restaurant to review photos. Interesting place. Family operation.Open air. Large screens in a wood building and ceiling fans kept it comfortable. I'll be back. With more cash. That's all they take. I was .22 short, told the cook/waiter I had quarters in my car. "Don't worry about it" That's southern hospitality. Speaking of southern, the menu has a side item. "Corn dodgers" 20 years living in Florida, and I had never heard the term. I now know it is another name for hush puppies.

No comments: