Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Wekiva River

I went to Katies Landing today, Sunday, August 2, 2009. On July 11, I received an email from the site foreman, stating it would re-open August 1. 2010? I am a big fan of Florida State Parks but someone or someones have completely botched this project, with I do not think was necessary. In 14 months, a paved parking lot has been installed and a restroom constructed. Small rocks are now on the upper part of the dirt road leading to the landing, but they end before the old parking area. 14 months for that? Seems to me they could have kept it open during the project. Nothing has been done at the landing area, other than letting it become overgrown.

So I put in at Wilson's Landing. Paddled a bit over two hours, upstream, to the Buffalo Tram Campsite.

































































Not many people on the River. Less than ten canoes and kayaks, 2 motor boats on the upstream paddle. A few more canoes, rentals from Wekiva Falls, on the way back.




















The view from Buffalo Tram.









A "tram" is a narrow logging railroad. Giant cypress trees did not get out of the forest by themselves 100 years ago.


















Looking, north, downstream, towards Florida State Highway 46, Wilson's Landing (not in photo} on the right, east bank.





Wilson's Landing. The landing area is between two trees to the left of the dock. Plenty of room for one yak. My car can be seen up the hill.




I stopped at the Lower Wekiva Trail Head and hiked the Sand Loop Trail. There are two loops, you can do one, both, parts of both, or get mixed up on the connector trail and do both plus. Doing the two loops is a 2.2 mile hike. I did about 2.5. I never see wildlife here. Until today.




Saw one of the turkeys fly, always a fun sight. 5 gobblers. Saw a deer too.


This is not it.

I'm headed to Minocqua Weds thru Saturday. That's Up North, Wisconsin, for those of you so unfortunate not to know. Perhaps next Sunday I'll have the first loon photos on the Tales (self-portraits excepted)

No comments: