Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, September 7, 2009

Curry Hammock State Park

Day Three of the 3 day Labor Day Weekend trip to the Florida Keys saw me leaving Arlo's just before 9 am.






I decided to stop at Curry Hammock State Park, a couple miles north of Marathon at mile marker 56. It is the "largest uninhabited parcel of land between Key Largo and Big Pine Key" according to the Park brochure. I thought Long Key State Park, 11 miles up the Overseas Highway was larger. Guess not.






I arrived at 10:15, paid the Monroe County .50 surcharge. This is on top of regular entrance fees, or in my case, an annual State Parks Pass.






A kayak launch area is at the end of the Park entrance road. On a channel, the Atlantic to the southeast, a small bay to the northwest. The wind was coming out of the southeast, so I paddled into the bay. On my right, residential canals. I made my way west northwest to the entrance of a narrow creek. Paddled through a mangrove tunnel, under the Park Road bridge, into another bay.




Explored the bay and a couple off shore keys.


Into the Atlantic, paddling along the beach.

Back to the first bay, then turning back for the view through the channel to the Ocean.
.
Returning to the launch area at 12:15. In 90 minutes I had paddled in two bays, through a mangrove tunnel, and in the ocean. Not a bad paddling location. I thought of a dip in the ocean, but decided to just shower, change clothes and be on my way.

The only downside to my stop was the afternoon outgoing holiday traffic was horrendous. The backup began at the first bridge after the Long Key Channel Bridge and did not let up until Key Largo where US 1 has 2 lanes in each direction. So busy, that the toll on the alternate route, Card Sound, was suspended. I was thinking of taking it anyway, so saving a buck was nice. It's a longer drive, but less traffic, and more scenic than the 18 mile stretch from Key Largo to Florida City.

I also have a report on Green Wave http://www.clubkayak.com/greenwave/treports.asp?trip=423 It has an area map, which may be helpful.

No comments: