Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hontoon Island Loop

I went to Blue Springs State Park today, Sunday, September 27, 2009. My plan was to do the Hontoon Loop, Snake Creek version. Snake Creek, above, was blocked, so I went through the northernmost canal to get from the Hontoon Dead River back to the St Johns River.































The day began with a snorkel in Blue Springs Run. I was a bit surprised at how high the St Johns River is. Tannic river water flows past the second boardwalk overlook. I was surprised because rivers that feed the St Johns, the Wekiva and Econlockhatchee, are getting low. I should not be surprised, the St Johns has a broad watershed, and there has been rain to the south recently. Yesterday was a good example of micro-climates in Central Florida. No rain as I paddled Rock Springs Run and the Wekiva River. No rain at my house, 12 miles south. Yet, I turn on my weather radio this morning, and heard over two inches of rain fell. At the airport. 10 or so miles southeast of beautiful Winter Park.













I pushed off at 9:45, paddling up the St Johns. Not much traffic, 5 or 6 powerboats. Not much wildlife either, this great blue heron is the only pic from Blue Spring State Park to Hontoon Island State Park. 75 minutes paddling time.
As I set up the great blue pic, I heard an exhale. I turned around, saw air bubbles, and moving greenery. A manatee feeding. Joined by a second. Unfortunately, I have no photos.







I rounded the tip of Hontoon Island, past the three quarters empty State Park boat docks. and began the paddle up the Hontoon Dead River. Saw saw hawks, cormorants, blue herons, Here is one.











The only wildlife photo from the HDR today. The water is just as high, as measured by this photo,
as it was the last time I paddled past, May 31, 2009. I was surprised it had been that long. The fence is my former break area. It is the only high point on the Hontoon Dead River. I took my break on the banks of Snake Creek, near one of my favorite trees.
Back in the yak, only to run into the scene in the first photo, so I turned back. I wanted to paddle Snake Creek to avoid boaters who don't know what "Slow Speed, Minimum Wake" means, and be on a smaller water way with rain likely. It did rain, but lightly, and only a couple law abiding motor boats as I paddled from Snake Creek to the northernmost canal.
The algae is a thin film, no problem paddling through it. It cleared, but later there was a second, less lengthy, patch.











I returned to Blue Spring about 2. In four plus hours, I did not see any alligators. That could be a first for this paddle.




After getting the kayak on the car, I was hot and sweaty, so I cooled of with the second snorkel of the day.










































2 comments:

The Florida Blogger said...

So, you put in at Blue Springs?

Dave said...

Yes, I put in at Blue Springs State Park.