Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Ichetucknee and Santa Fe

I traveled to North Florida today, Saturday, September 19, 2009, to kayak the Ichetucknee River. As it is a long drive, almost 150 miles, and short paddle, six miles, I also yaked the Santa River.

The Tuesday after Labor Day marked the partial end of the summer tubing season on the Ich. "Partial" meaning the State Park no longer operates as shuttle, and tubing is restricted to the lower half of the Park, the middle section of the River. Roughly half of the 6-7 mile long Ichetucknee flows through Ichetucknee State Park, from the eponymous spring to US 27.
Ichetucknee State Park has three entrances. The north entrance, off County Road 238, gives access to Ichetucknee and Blue Hole Springs. This is where the River is born. The south entrance, off US 27, has parking for the "Midpoint"and "Dampiers" docks. The third entrance, just west of the south entrance, is the site of the "Take Out" dock. Tube, not Chinese.


The Take Out dock is my put in for paddling up the Ich. I was on my way at 8:30. This photo is 9:00 am
I saw a trio of otters, only a few birds, great egrets and wood ducks, and a kayaker coming downstream. He must have put in at Dampiers Landing, or perhaps the Midpoint, if he had been paddling fast. Passing Dampiers, a couple was launching. I saw one more pair of canoes. Seven people on the way up, just the way I like it. The bird life, woodstorks in particular, was fantastic on the open section of the Ich.



































A bald eagle flew overhead as I was in the bird intense area.





















The Ichetucknee River is fed by eight springs. One, Coffee, is behind a fence on the left side(heading upstream). This is to protect a snail found only on the Ich. Three more enter the River from the right, or east. These are Mill Pond, Mission, and Grassy Hole. Access is not allowed to these springs, but there is no fence. I snuck a peak at each, but turned back before I got too far, so not to disturb things by forcing my way through thick plants, or powering over downed logs.






















Devil's Eye Spring is back on the left, west side of the Ichetucknee. It has no restrictions.





After my visit to Devil's Eye, pictured above, I continued up River. Saw two, perhaps three deer on my left, they quickly ran deep into the thick cypress and pine forest. I paddled past Blue Hole Spring, it is behind a fence, so no access from the River, and soon was at the dock just outside Ichetucknee Spring. I pulled the yak on the dock, walked up the stairs, down a trail, down another set of stairs, and was in Ichetucknee Spring at 10:20.








































Other than a wading woman, I shared the spring with fish and turtles. Next, I walked the 1/2 mile trail to Blue Hole Spring. A family pointed out this brown water snake.
It is non-venomous. I entered Blue Hole.
A narrow, shallow, spring run enters Blue Hole from behind the swim platform. This leads to Cedar Spring. I saw the biggest bass I have seen in this run a few years ago, so I always snorkel up it.















Not very far, it is shallow and full of obstacles. After going over and under several branches, I turned around. And could not see through all the sediment I had stirred up. I snorkeled back into Blue Hole, then sat on the steps for a while to let things clear. Back into the spring for more bluegills and bass.


































Here is Blue Hole from above.

A second view, looking out towards the Ichetucknee River. The brown water snake was still sunning when I left. I had been the only person in the water. On the walk back, one guy, than 3 more with snorkel gear, walked by. My timing was perfect.














As long as I visit Ichetucknee Springs, I'll be posting this scene.













I returned to the dock, and my yak. Two other kayaks were on the dock. Turned out they were the couple I had seen launching at Dampiers Landing. I had a sandwich, then was on my way. With an assist from the gentleman, who steadied the yak as I entered. I saw more otters, but, no photos.


















This pileated woodpecker was at Devil's Eye Spring.

I heard a second sound. Not the ratatatatat of the woodpecker, but a high, woo-woo. Bird. No baby alligators. Teeny tiny gators, almost all head. I wish I had a pic, but when I found them, they leaped into the water. Thinking mom may be near, I enjoyed the spring from the kayak.
I was back in the bird intense area.

























































"The Thinker.
















Sunning suwannee cooters.
I was having a great day, deer, otters, a bald eagle, baby gators, many, many woodstorks, and no people. Until I got tho the Mid point dock. From there to the last take out, the Ich was full of tubers. No more wildlife to be seen. I came about 6 weeks to early. Once the weather cools, there will be very few tubers on the Ich.
















I landed about 1:00. Lots of time left in the day The University of Florida had a 3:30 kickoff. It was a bad time to head south, past Gainesville and all the incoming game traffic. So, I headed east on 27, stopping at a bridge over the Santa Fe River. I was on the water at 2:00.ust after photographing this butterfly at the launch.

The current was barely felt as I went past a flooded stonehenge downstream of the launch.
Or the 2001 monolith, x 2? More likely supports for a foremer railroad, or old US 27.
The Santa Fe flows into the Suwanee River, the Ichtucknee flows into the Santa Fe. All are feed by many springs. The current picked up.










This is one of the springs. Poe Springs, in an Alachua County Park. Kayakers were able to stop here, for a short, swim, for free. Now, signs on the docks advise of a $5 entry fee. Not having any money, I paddled on.
















Past turtles.
And more suwannee cooters. Other then turtles, a few great egrets and belted kingfishers, the Santa Fe was almost empty. Two motor boats, and a group of canoeres takeing a break in a shallow area when I passed them. My plan was to paddle for ahour, or until I reached Lily Springs. My plan worked like a charm, as it took an hour to get to Lily Spring.








Home of Ed Watts, better known as Naked Ed. Mr Watts was home, at his thactched hut, hands strategialy crossed on his lap. We chatted, I asked if I could beach th eyak and take a dip. No problem. I found three small vents. I wonder what gave the spring a red hue.








Naked Ed is a wise man.





He told me Lily Spring is 3 miles from Highway 27. I made my way back.




Saw one alligator. A teen. It still had the rings which gators lose at about age two. Here is the final spring of the day. Just upstream of the 27 bridge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That brown water snake looks like a moccasin. Markings are identical and the head looks like a pit viper, but hard to tell from the pics. I've never seen gators on the Itch, have you seen them before?

Dave said...

You could be right about the snake. I'm not real good at IDing them. But as I think about it, brown water snakes, al least those that I have seen, are a lot broader.

The baby gators were just the second time I've seen a gator on the Ich, in maybe 6 visits. This is Florida, and where there is water,there are alligators