Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Rock Springs Run

Sunday, September 20,2009 I was not sure where to kayak. I narrowed it down to Rock Springs Run and Blue Springs/St Johns River. I neared the exit to Wekiwa Springs State Park, and took it. Perhaps I'd see another bear. A couple I talked to Saturday at Ichetucknee Springs said they had recently paddled Rock Springs Run and although they did not see a bear, they spoke to someone who had. That made 5 recent bear sightings. Two by me. Now a third. In three consecutive paddles.
















I launched a tad before 9:30. Herons on the Wekiva.

































Blue, green and great blue. Limpkin on Rock Springs Run.
I saw two little alligators, just before encountering a group coming downstream. They had camped at Indian Mound. At Indian Mound, a large group of day trippers. They told me to look for an alligator and a deer. They also called out to a straggler of their group to look for the same. We passed, he had not see either. Probably due to all the noise, I said. I paddled a bit further, and a deer poked its head out.
It crossed the Run. My first picture of a wading/swimming deer. It made the crossing successfully.

I continued upstream. Past an even larger group just downstream of the Big Buck campsite. I turned around after two hours, seeing no more paddlers.
I heard paddlers behind me after I turned around. A canoeing couple passed me as I took a break at Big Buck. These ibis also had lunch on the shore at Big Buck.
Near the same spot I had seen the deer on the way upstream, I saw another, a buck. Unable to get a photo. But, I made up for that, when a few minutes later, I saw a bear.
A small bear on on a small bush. You can see the fruit I assume it was after, here.
It sensed me, got off the bush, and went into the woods. But not far. I could still see it. I maneuvered in the swift flowing Run for position, and it came back out, this time climbing another bush. Which could not support the bear. Bush and bear came crashing down. It scampered into the woods, but again, came back, foraging on the broken bush.
Again it saw me, and retreated. The couple who had passed me at Big Buck, who I had passed as they were taking a shore break, asked what I was looking at. "A bear" "For real?!" They passed while it was away, but once again, it came back. Those berries must be tasty.
I spent more than 15 minutes watching the bear. And it me. I was pretty close, and when it began breathing heavily in my direction, it was time for me to leave.




Not a bad paddle. Swimming deer and my third bear in my last three RSR paddles, the last two with pictures. I encountered the usual Sunday crowds as I neared the confluence.




Still saw some wildlife. I did not swim, after snorkeling three empty springs Saturday on the Ichetucknee and Santa Fe, the crowed spring was not so appealing. Although it would have been nice to cool off. I just made sure I did not sit to close to anyone at the Wing House as I watched the Packer game. I'm sure I was pretty stinky.

No comments: