Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Econlockhatchee River

After a long day Saturday at Myakka River State Park, I need something relatively easy today, Sunday, October 4, 2009. With my bike in the car, a car bike shuttle to paddle down the Econlockhatchee River was just the ticket. I dropped the yak of at the 419 launch, drove to Snow Hill, and biked back to 419. The bike ride took a bit longer than I planned. The right front brake pad was rubbing against the wheel. The same thing happened yesterday, I just pushed it over. That did not work today. I futzed around with it, could not adjust it. So I just peddled, occasionally leaning down and pushing the pad away from the wheel with a finger. I was in the River at 10:20.





























There were a few kayakers on the other side of the River when I dropped of the yak, a guy with a canoe pulling into the small parking lot on Highway 419 as I left for the Snow Hill Road takeout, and a kayak with two women on the bank just downstream after I began paddling. I did not see any of them on the Econ, nor anyone else on the water.












As you can see, I saw blue herons and great blue herons. A few belted kingfishers, pileated wood peckers and red shouldered hawks. A couple turtles.
About eight gators. This one sliding into the water.
A huge one in its favorite spot.














I stopped at the Flagler Trail bridge.



Stretched my legs with a forty minute walk on the Florida Trail.
Back in the Econ. When I saw the big gator, I wondered where his buddy was. Two huge alligators are often in the spot This may be the other, perhaps it lost the turf war.
I know this 8 mile portion of the Econ pretty well, so I had my camera ready coming round a bend to capture this guy.
I came directly in front of it, but did not get that photo as it saw me, and suddenly entered the River, creating a substantial wake.



Two more gators.


I landed at 2:30, at the end of an easy paddle. A nice one, despite not seeing any bad eagles, which I often see on the Econ.

No comments: